Klein: Open inspires stream of consciousness
The British Open is a thinking man's game -- and from afar, it inspires a stream of thoughts in our Bradley S. Klein. Here is a collection of his take on the British Open as he shared via his Twitter account, @BKleinGolfweek (all times EDT):
• • •
• 11:40 a.m.: Is that snow rolling in or just haar?
• 11:37 a.m.: It's so great watching links golf and seeing players worry about what's behind the hole as much as what's in front and the side.
• 11:23 a.m.: Will Phil hit driver on 15? Would love to see him drive the green.
• 11:09 a.m.: Goodness, this is starting to feel like the set up to an epic, breathless finishing nine.
• 11:06 a.m.: Maybe Jim Furyk can lend Tiger a 5 Hour Energy shot for his putting.
• 11:04 a.m.: Mahan almost pulled a Louis Oosthuizen on 9.
• 10:59 a.m.: One of best drivers in golf is pitching 0-fer on front nine fairways yet leads Open because his once notoriously poor short game is great.
• 10:52 a.m.: Gutsiest shot all day might have been that cameraman in front of Poulter on 18.
• 10:45 a.m.: Links golf in wind. Downwind Stenson on 9th hits 4-iron 300 yards over green. On 10th into crosswind he hits same club 200 to green
• 10:02 a.m.: Watershead moment in golf coverage as per @PaulAzinger; announcer admits to responding live to text.
• 10:01 a.m.: At least TW is able to contain his language while on live TV.
• 9:54 a.m.: No big deal - just 5 consecutive 3s for Poulter on the Sunday afternoon of a major! bit.ly/1348DbY
• 9:47 a.m.: As usual, Woods is placed too high on the ESPN leaderboard, the evens should lead with Poulter.
• 9:45 a.m.: Poulter's 4 consecutive one-putts are all from 15-25 feet.bit.ly/1348DbY
• 9:29 a.m.: Wonder if TW is saving his Saturday-worst major putting for Sunday.
• 9:17 a.m.: Smart cautious set up approach by R@A; lightly water in anticipation of afternoon drying and wind.
• 9:14 a.m.: Stenson on 3rd hole proves the left side there is the better miss; this guy will be there all day.
• 9:05 a.m.: Never seen so many one-legged bunker shots as this week!
• 8:53 a.m.: Scary, these players have charted the break in fairways so they can better line up their tee shots
• 8:47 a.m.: Muirfield getting tougher as more play: as of 8:45 EST, 12 rounds under par, 12 level and 49 over. bit.ly/1348DbY
For more from Klein, check back here for updates or visit twitter.com/BKleinGolfweek – and for an overview of his course rater's take of the Muirfield links, including the updates to the course since its 2002 hosting of the Open Championship, check out his hole-by-hole breakdown at Golfweek.com.