Vincennes wraps up NJCAA Div. III national title
Friday, June 7, 2013
Vincennes (Ind.) University captured its first national title June 7 at the NJCAA Division III Men’s Championship.
Vincennes was one shot behind host Jamestown (N.Y.) Community College entering the final round. Thursday’s third round had been cancelled because of rain in Jamestown, N.Y., and the tournament was shortened to 54 holes.
Vincennes finished four shots ahead of Sandhills Community College (Pinehurst, N.C.) and five ahead of Jamestown. Vincennes was led by Shelby Stewart and Tyler Sloan, who tied for 11th at 12-over 228. All five Trailblazers golfers finished among the top 30.
Ethan Chamineak of Georgia Military College (Milledgeville, Ga.) took medalist honors with an even-par 216 at the Lake Course at Chautauqua Golf Club. Chamineak, a freshman, shot 70-73-73 and finished one shot ahead of Aaron Rondon of Southwest Wisconsin Tech.
Georgia Military, which had won the team title in 2004, finished fifth. Chamineak is the second individual champion for the school and its first since Brendan O’Connell in 2004.
• • •
- Vincennes: 303-304-303—910
- Sandhills: 308-308-298—914
- Jamestown: 297-309-309—915
- Minnesota-St. Fergus: 310-304-302—916
- Georgia Military: 310-307-301—918
- Monroe: 307-318-307—932
- Nassau: 324-305-314—943
- Burlington: 313-313-319—945
- DuPage: 313-328-307—948
- Suffolk County: 320-327-323—970
- CC of Rhode Island: 350-337-341—1028
- CC of Morris: 345-351-336—1032
- Butler County: 357-361-332—1050