Garcia, 17, makes first PGA Tour cut
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
At just 17 years old, Jorge Garcia made his first PGA Tour start at last week’s Puerto Rico Open.
He also made his first cut.
Garcia, who earned a sponsor exemption into the event after winning the AJGA Puerto Rico Junior Open, shot 70-70-73-74 for a four-day total of 1-under 287.
“It was a really great week for me,” Garcia said after finishing 75th. “I made some very good shots. . . . I’m very happy with my performance.”
Garcia shot 9-under 63 to open January’s junior event at Trump International Golf Club’s Championship course in Rio Grande. He began the PGA Tour event with two straight 2-under 70s to earn a spot in the weekend before shooting 3 over for the final two rounds.
“Things didn’t go so well for me as they did in the first two days, but I’m still very happy that I was able to make the cut.”
A nice run over his final seven holes of the second round helped Garcia advance. He was 2 over for the round after a bogey at the par-5 second hole, having started on the back nine. But he went 4 under to finish the round, making birdies at Nos. 3 and 6, and notching an eagle at the par-5 fifth.
It was a unique experience, but one he didn’t get too nervous about.
“I was feeling pretty calm,” Garcia said. “I knew that no matter what happened, this was just my first PGA tournament.”
Garcia, of Miami, will next play in the AJGA TaylorMade-adidas Golf Junior at Innisbrook Resort and Golf Club on March 29-31 in Palm Harbor, Fla. Other notables in the field include 2012 U.S. Open participant Andy Zhang, Golfweek East Coast Junior winner Zach Healy, and Cristian DiMarco and Taylor Funk, sons of former PGA Tour players Chris DiMarco and Fred Funk.
Carl Yuan, Robin Wang, Austen Truslow, Zachary Bauchou and Nicholas Jan are also in the field.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.