Midweek: Top form lingers for Alabama, Whitsett
Welcome to Golfweek’s Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest men's college news and give you a quick glance at what to look ahead to this weekend.
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. Alabama: The Crimson Tide’s 16-shot victory was their third in four starts this spring. The only exception was a runner-up to No. 1 Cal at the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters. Alabama has firmly established itself as the nation’s No. 2 team. Four Alabama players posted top-10 finishes at Linger Longer: Cory Whitsett (1st), Bobby Wyatt (T-5), Justin Thomas (T-10) and Trey Mullinax (T-10). The team’s fifth player, Scott Strohmeyer, shot the low score of the entire field (68) in the second round after opening with 79.
2. Duke: The Blue Devils won the Hootie at Bulls Bay Intercollegiate. It was Duke’s third victory of the season, and first since its own Rod Myers Invitational. The Blue Devils are No. 9 in the Golfweek/Sagarin College Rankings. They placed two players – Austin Cody (2nd) and Mads Soegaard (T-3) – in the top 5.
3. Oregon: The Ducks, No. 47 in the Golfweek rankings, won their own Duck Invitational for their first victory of the season. Oregon, which hadn’t finished better than third in an event this season, upset No. 5 Washington, No. 19 SMU in the victory and No. 22 St. Mary’s in the victory. Oregon sophomore Jonathan Woo won the individual title.
4. Kennesaw State: The Owls moved up to No. 51 in the Golfweek rankings, and above the all-important .500 mark, after their runner-up finish at the 14-team Linger Longer Invitational. Among the squads that the Owls beat: No. 11 Georgia Tech, No. 13 Oklahoma State and No. 15 Georgia. Kennesaw State now has a 66-62-2 record after going 12-1-0 at the Linger Longer.
5. Virginia Tech: The Hokies, No. 39 in the Golfweek rankings, won the Furman Intercollegiate by 19 shots over 16th-ranked North Florida. It was Virginia Tech’s third win, and first since it won its first two events of the season.
• • •
1. Cory Whitsett, Alabama: Whitsett’s strong spring continued with a victory at the Linger Longer Invitational. He’s finished no worse than seventh in four spring starts, including two victories (Southern Highlands, Linger Longer) and a runner-up. He’s No. 8 in the Golfweek/Sagarin College Rankings.
2. Alex Carpenter, Abilene Christian: Carpenter, the 2011 Jack Nicklaus Award winner as Division II’s top player, won the Arkansas-Little Rock/First Tee Classic by 10 shots for his 19th career victory. The win came in Carpenter’s hometown of Little Rock.
3. Albin Choi, North Carolina State: Choi finished third at the Hootie at Bulls Bay, two shots short of his fifth victory of the season. He made bogey on three of his final five holes. Choi has finished outside the top 6 just once in nine starts this season. He is No. 13 in the Golfweek rankings. Choi’s teammate, Logan Harrell, won the Hootie.
4. Gavin Green, New Mexico: The New Mexico sophomore finished 22nd in the Malaysian Open, an event co-sanctioned by the European and Asian tours. It was Green’s second consecutive top-25 in events that offer Official World Golf Ranking points. He was 18th at the Asian Tour’s Iskandar Johor Open late last year. Green is No. 32 in the Golfweek rankings.
5. Zac Blair, BYU: Blair, a member of the Walker Cup practice squad, won the Desert Shootout by seven shots, his first college victory since the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate in October 2011. Blair started the final round two shots off the lead, but his final-round 64 at Palm Valley Golf Club in Goodyear, Ariz., was the low round of the day by three shots. Blair is No. 70 in the Golfweek/Sagarin College Rankings.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin rankings fared:
1. California: DNP
2. Alabama: Won, Linger Longer Invitational
3. New Mexico: DNP
4. Texas: DNP
5. Washington: 3rd, Duck Invitational
• • •
How the top 5 players in the Golfweek/Sagarin rankings fared:
1. Michael Kim, Cal: DNP
2. Brandon Stone, Texas: DNP
3. Sean Dale, North Florida: T-15, Furman Intercollegiate
4. Joel Stalter, Cal: DNP
5. Daniel Berger, Florida State: T-25, C&F Bank Intercollegiate
• • •
Tournament (team winner; individual winner)
Hootie at Bulls Bay Intercollegiate (Duke; Logan Harrell, N.C. State; see results here)
Duck Invitational (Oregon; Jonathan Woo, Oregon; see results here)
Linger Longer Invitational (Alabama; Cory Whitsett, Alabama; see results here)
Furman Intercollegiate (Virginia Tech; Drew Aimone, Samford/Scott Fernandez, Iowa State; see results here)
• • •
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
Stanford U.S. Intercollegiate
Stanford (Calif.) Golf Course