Men's Midweek Report: Alabama stays undefeated
Wednesday, November 6, 2013
Welcome to Golfweek’s Men's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest men's college news.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. Alabama : The No. 1 team in the Golfweek Rankings finished the fall undefeated when it won the Gifford Collegiate on Nov. 5. With that title, the Tide also take its winning streak to 10 events, dating back to last season at the Schenkel Invitational in March. Alabama finished the 54-hole event at Pelican Hill at 4-under 836 for a three shot win.
2. South Carolina: The Gamecocks won its second consecutive tournament of the fall at the Wendy’s Kiawah Classic on Nov. 5 by 22 shots. Ranked 30th by Golfweek, South Carolina was lead by sophomores Matt NeSmith (second) and Will Starke (T-4).
3. BYU: BYU won the Pacific Invitational by seven strokes for its first win of the season on Nov. 2. Three players finished in the top five. It was the team’s first Pacific Invitational title since 2006.
4. Wofford: With a closing 2-over 286 at The Hummingbird Intercollegiate, the Terriers won its second tournament of the year by four shots. The team placed four players inside the top-10 and all five inside the top-17 on Nov. 5.
5. USC: The Trojans made a final round charge with a 1-under 279 at the Gifford Collegiate, but fell three shots short of the Tide. Two USC players claimed the top two spots on the individual leaderboard.
1. Rico Hoey, USC: The freshman picked up his first collegiate win at the Gifford Collegiate in USC’s last tournament of the fall. Hoey of Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., was in second to start the final round, but fired a 2-under 68 for a one-shot victory over teammate Anthony Paolucci.
2. J.T. Poston, Western Carolina: Ranked 13th by Golfweek, Poston won his third collegiate title of the year at The Hummingbird Intercollegiate on Nov. 5 by six shots. Poston has recorded finishes of 1-1-4-T2-1 in the Catamount’s five starts this fall.
3. Nick Nelson, Marquette: The sophomore claimed his first collegiate victory at the Wendy’s Kiawah Classic on Nov. 5. He led the team to its best finish (second) since the team captured the John Dallio Memorial last fall. Nelson shot rounds of 60-67-73 to win by two.
4. Joe Parkinson, BYU: Parkinson won the Pacific Invitational on Nov. 2 in wire-to-wire fashion for his first collegiate victory. He shot rounds of 65-65-70 (13 under total) to win by five. Parkinson finished the tournament with 17 birdies.
5. Trey Mullinax, Alabama: After a T-39th start to the season at the Olympia Fields / Fighting Illini Invitational, Mullinax hasn’t finished outside the top 10. The No. 1 player in the Golfweek Rankings finished at the runner-up at the Jerry Pate Intercollegite, winner of the Isleworth Collegiate and T-6 at the Gifford Collegiate.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Alabama: Won, Gifford Collegiate
2. Georgia Tech: DNP
3. Oklahoma State: DNP
4. California: DNP
5. Texas A&M: DNP
• • •
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Trey Mullinax, Alabama: T-6, Gifford Collegiate
2. Ollie Schniederjans, Georgia Tech: DNP
3. Joey Garber, Georgia: DNP
4. Brandon Hagy, California : DNP
5. Ben Crancer, Texas A&M: DNP
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.