Tracker: Woods 1 under before play halted in Turkey
Thursday, November 7, 2013
Thanks to a three-hour weather delay, Tiger Woods only got through 10 holes Thursday at the Turkish Airlines Open.
He was 1 under before play was halted due to darkness with Woods' ball resting just off the par-5 11th green at Montgomerie Maxx Royal in Antalya, Turkey. Woods will resume play Friday morning at 8 a.m. local time with his eagle chip.
Playing alongside Henrik Stenson and Justin Rose, Woods struggled to make putts. He also didn't hit a fairway until the 10th hole.
Paul Casey, Darren Fitchardt and Steve Webster share the lead at 7 under.
See how it all unfolded Thursday in Turkey:
• • •
Hole No. 11: Par 5, 570 yards
Another missed birdie opportunity for Tiger, as he moves on to the third of five par 5s on this course.
• Off the tee: Driver here for Tiger and he splits the fairway.
• Second shot: With 3-wood, Tiger goes the green in two and just misses right. Good shot from Tiger, who liked that shot right away. Shortly after, the players decide to mark their balls due to the darkness and they'll finish things up early Friday morning.
• • •
Hole No. 10: Par 4, 362 yards
A disappointing finish to the front nine for Tiger Woods, who still hasn't hit a fairway. He made the turn in a tie for 52nd.
• Off the tee: Tiger opts for iron and finds his first fairway of the day.
• Approach shot: Tiger sticks his approach to inside of 10 feet.
• On the green: Another missed putt by Tiger, who this time misses an 8-footer for birdie.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under through 10 holes
• Elsewhere on the course: Paul Casey, Robert-Jan Derksen, Steve Webster and George Coetzee have all joined Rafa Cabrera-Bello in the lead at 7 under.
• • •
Hole No. 9: Par 4, 446 yards
That was a big birdie putt for Tiger, who will now look to close out his front nine strong.
• Off the tee: Woods still hasn't hit a fairway as he misses right.
• Approach shot: From the rough, Tiger just gets it over the water as the ball comes to rest in the rough just short of the green.
• Around the green: Tiger leaves his third shot a good 8 feet short.
• On the green: Tiger doesn't start it out left enough and the birdie putt breaks to the right, running by the right side of the hole. Bogey.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under through 9 holes
• Elsewhere on the course: Henrik Stenson makes the turn at 4 under, three back of leader Rafa Cabrera-Bello, who is 7 under through 14 holes. Justin Rose is 1 under through nine holes.
• • •
Hole No. 8: Par 3, 182 yards
The third of five par 3s at Montgomerie Maxx Royal, and Tiger could really use a birdie here.
• Off the tee: Tiger finds the center of the green about pin-high, but with a right hole location, he's about 30 feet away.
• On the green: His longest birdie attempt of the round and he sinks it. He got a good read from Justin Rose's birdie putt. Rose saved par on the hole to remain 1 under.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 2 under through 8 holes
• • •
Hole No. 7: Par 4, 459 yards
Tiger just can't get a putt to drop since the opening hole, and he still hasn't hit a fairway.
• Off the tee: Tiger is in the left rough off the tee this time.
• Approach shot: From a tough lie, Tiger hits out of the thick rough and misses the green left. He's short-sided himself, too.
• Around the green: Tiger's chip leaves him about a foot or so for par.
• On the green: The tap-in par completes the up-and-down for Tiger.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under through 7 holes
• • •
Hole No. 6: Par 4, 482 yards
Tiger hasn't hit a fairway yet, but it's been a couple near-misses on the greens that has Woods five shots back of leader Rafa Cabrera-Bello, who just moved to 6 under after a birdie at No. 11.
• Off the tee: Water on the left and Tiger goes with driver. He misses the fairway right, but the rough isn't very thick on this hole.
• Approach shot: Tiger's second shot lands about pin-high and about 15 feet to the left of the hole.
• On the green: Tiger misreads this birdie putt, leaving it right the whole time. Another par for Woods.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under through 6 holes
• Elsewhere on the course: Rafa Cabrera-Bello is now 7 under through 12 holes as he leads Paul Casey by a shot.
• • •
Hole No. 5: Par 3, 224 yards
The birdie misses at Nos. 2 and 3 didn't hurt nearly as bad as the miss from 6 feet at No. 4. Now Tiger gets the longest par 3 on the course.
• Off the tee: Tiger doesn't like this tee ball as he immediately covers his eyes with his hand. But his ball does make it over the water, although he'll have a chip from short of the green coming up.
• Around the green: Tiger's chip runs by the hole about 5 feet.
• On the green: Unlike the last hole, Tiger gets this short putt to fall, and he saves par.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under through 5 holes
• Elsewhere on the course: A birdie at No. 17 moves Kiradech Aphibarnrat to 4 under and into a tie for second, one shot back of leader Rafa Cabrera-Bello.
• • •
Hole No. 4: Par 5, 576 yards
Another par 5 for Woods, who birdied his first one today, at No. 1.
• Off the tee: Tiger misses right again with the drive. He yells at it to bite, but it finds the rough.
• Second and third shots: Tiger uses hybrid out of the rough and just gets it over the water that guards the front of the green. On an up-slope, Tiger then hits his third shot to about 6 feet or so.
• On the green: Tiger can't get this one to drop as his birdie putt catches the right lip. He makes a third straight par.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under through 4 holes
• Elsewhere on the course: Rafa Cabrera-Bello now leads at 5 under through nine holes after Thongchai Jaidee snaps his birdie streak with a bogey at No. 6. Jaidee is now 4 under.
• • •
Hole No. 3: Par 4, 369 yards
That missed birdie putt shouldn't hurt Tiger's momentum too much as he now moves onto this short, dogleg-left par-4 hole.
• Off the tee: Tiger goes with iron off the tee and he doesn't like it. He finds the right gallery and will have a second shot from the rough.
• Approach shot: With only about 125 yards left to the hole, Tiger's approach shot just gets onto the front of the green. He'll have 12 feet or so left for birdie.
• On the green: Tiger misses a birdie putt right this time and settles for another par.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under through 3 holes
• Elsewhere on the course: Thongchai Jaidee has birdied his first five holes and now leads outright at 5 under.
• • •
Hole No. 2: Par 3, 162 yards
From the second longest hole on the course to the shortest, Tiger will now look to build off that opening birdie.
• Off the tee: Tiger's tee ball lands and stops immediately, about 15 feet away from the hole.
• On the green: Tiger puts a nice roll on this one, but it breaks left at the very end and runs by the left side of the hole. He then taps in for par after Justin Rose rolls in a second straight birdie.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under through 2 holes
• • •
Hole No. 1: Par 5, 571 yards
After a weather delay pushed back his opening-round tee time three hours, Tiger's first round has finally begun. Woods is dressed in all black as he plays alongside Henrik Stenson and Justin Rose.
• Off the tee: Tiger goes with driver and has his tee shot run into the right rough.
• Second and third shots: After laying up, Tiger wedges to about 5 feet. His ball just stuck in place upon landing on the green.
• On the green: Tiger calmly sinks the birdie putt.
TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under through 1 hole
• Elsewhere on the course: Henrik Stenson and Justin Rose also birdie to move to 1 under, three shots behind co-leaders Peter Uihlein and Tommy Fleetwood.
• • •
Weather update No. 3: 5:05 a.m. EST
Play has begun in Turkey. Remember, Tiger Woods is set to tee off in two hours, but he will have just less than three hours of daylight once he begins his round, meaning he will almost certainly have to finish his opening round up on Friday morning.
• • •
Weather update No. 2: 4:20 a.m. EST
According to tournament officials, play is set to begin at 12:05 p.m. local time (5:05 a.m. Eastern). That means Tiger Woods will tee off around 7:05 a.m. Eastern.
• • •
Weather update No. 1: 4:15 a.m. EST
Round 1 is currently in a weather delay. Click here to read Alex Miceli's weather update.
• • •
Tiger Woods is at the Turkish Airlines Open this week for his first tournament of the 2014 season. Woods also talks about his game, hitting golf balls on from Europe to Asia on Tuesday and his end to his tiff between himself and Brandel Chamblee.
Henrik Stenson's MRI on his swollen wrist and forearm showed that nothing was wrong in his wrist and it was just “some wear and tear over long-time golfing.”
Very few players can sum up their season with the term “amazing,” but that was how Justin Rose graded his 2013 campaign Wednesday before the Turkish Airlines Open.
Some members of the European Tour’s Board of Directors are calling for Simon Dyson to be suspended from the tour, Golfweek has learned.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.