Whitsett leads field into All-America Classic
Friday, November 22, 2013
Alabama senior Cory Whitsett and 2013 NCAA Division III Player of the Year Brad Shigezawa of Claremont Mudd Scripps are among the 21 individuals who will compete in the Western Refining Sun Bowl All-America Golf Classic on Nov. 25-26 at El Paso (Texas) Country Club.
The 21-player field consists of last season’s Division I All-Americans (with a limit of two per team), as well as Shigezawa. Whitsett is making his third consecutive start at the event.
Since his last start in El Paso – where he finished third – Whitsett had quite the year. He helped Alabama capture its first NCAA National Championship and helped the Americans capture both the Walker Cup and the Palmer Cup. As an individual he has won twice and had nine top-10 finishes. He was also the 2013 SEC Player of the Year and shared the SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year award.
“It’s been incredible,” Whitsett said. “Full of emotions, really. It’s been a really special year, closing it with a National Championship, because we came so close the year before.”
Whitsett, who loves the course because he'll have a wedge into most of the greens, is looking for his second win in three years after winning the event in 2011.
Here is the rest of the field:
• Anders Albertson, Georgia Tech, Junior
• Julien Brun, TCU, Junior
• Sebastian Cappelen, Arkansas, Senior
• Corey Connors, Kent State, Senior
• Ian Davis, Oklahoma State, Senior
• Tyler Dunlap, Texas A&M, Junior
• Greg Eason, Central Florida, Senior
• Jonathan Garrick, UCLA, Sophomore
• Gavin Green, New Mexico, Junior
• Jonathan Grey, Georgia State, Sophomore
• Michael Kim, California, Junior
• M.J. Maguire, North Florida, Junior
• Jordan Niebrugge, Oklahoma State, Sophomore
• Jack Perry, Northwestern, Senior
• Rhys Pugh, East Tennessee State, Junior
• Ollie Schniederjans, Georgia Tech, Junior
• Brad Shigezawa, Claremont Mudd Scripps, Senior
• Michael Weaver, California, Senior
• Cory Whitsett, Alabama, Senior
• Cameron Wilson, Stanford, Senior
• Bobby Wyatt, Alabama, Senior