Toy Box notes: Moore mixes; Pettersen wins; more
Monday, October 28, 2013
Ryan Moore does things his own way – his apparel is unique, his golf swing is different, even the configuration of his golf bag is unorthodox.
In gaining his third PGA Tour title, Moore used a driver and fairway woods from one company (TaylorMade), irons and a wedge from another company (Ping), another wedge from a third manufacturer (Callaway), a putter from a fourth company (Yes!) and a ball from a fifth equipment maker (Titleist).
Moore became the first PGA Tour player to win with Ping’s S55 irons. He also carried a Ping Tour 54 SS wedge. Nice timing for Moore’s victory – the S55 irons make their retail debut Nov. 1.
Moore used True Temper Dynamic Gold Lite shafts (X100) in the irons. These shafts weigh 110 grams, 20 grams lighter than the standard Dynamic Gold X100. Consumers who are interested in a lighter version of the Dynamic Gold might look at Dynamic Gold SL (SuperLite), which has replaced Dynamic Gold Lite in the True Temper lineup. The weight range for DG SL is 104-109 grams.
Moore carried two TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 fairway woods (15 and 19 degree), and he used different shafts in each. He had a Graphite Design Tour AD Di 7 in the 15 and a Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.2X in the 19.
He used the same Graphite Design Tour AD Di 7 shaft in his TaylorMade Burner SuperFast TP driver (8.5 degree).
His two wedges, the 54-degree Ping Tour and a 60-degree Callaway Mack Daddy 2, also had different shafts – a Dynamic Gold S400 in the 54, and a KBS Tour in the 60.
His putter was a Yes! Sandy-12 . He played a Titleist Pro V1x ball.
Moore, following the example of Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy and several others, has no hybrids. Golfers who adhere to this philosophy tend to be stronger players who play consistently well with their long irons.
• • •
Pettersen plays the Swoosh
Here’s a look at Suzann Pettersen’s bag configuration during her win at the Sunrise LPGA Taiwan Championship (all Nike):
- Driver: Nike VR_S Covert (9.5 degree);
- Fairway wood: Nike VR_S Covert (15 degree);
- Hybrid: Nike VR_S (18 degree);
- Irons: Nike VR Pro Cavity (4-5), Nike VR Pro Combo (6-PW);
- Wedges: Nike VR Pro (48, 52, 59 degree);
- Putter: Nike Method Core 3i.
• • •
Woodland’s Callaway bag
The bag of Gary Woodland, who lost a sudden-death playoff to Moore:
- Driver: Callaway Razr Hawk Proto (8.5 degree, with an Oban Prototype shaft tipped 1.75 inches);
- Fairway wood: Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 4-wood (16.5 degree with 15 degrees of actual loft, outfitted with a Graphite Design G Proto shaft tipped 2 inches);
- Utility club: Callaway X-Tour 2-iron (18 degree, with Project X 7.0 shaft);
- Irons: Callaway Razr X Muscleback (3-9, with Project X 7.0 shafts);
- Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design SM4 (48, 54, 62 degree, with Project X 7.0 shafts);
- Putter: Odyssey Versa No. 1 Wide putter (black);
- Ball: Hex Chrome+.