Men's Midweek Report: Ga. Tech, UCF, Akron win
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
Welcome to Golfweek’s Men's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest men's college news.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets, No. 4 in the Golfweek preseason rankings, won the Carpet Capital Collegiate by six shots at The Farm Golf Club. Led by Ollie Schniederjans (T-1), three other players – Richy Werenski (T-5), Seth Reeves (11th) and Anders Albertson (T-12) – finished in the top 12.
2. California: The No. 1 Golden Bears fell short of winning their season opener at The Gopher Invitational. The team finished fourth, 11 shots behind winner New Mexico. Senior Brandon Hagy led the way for the Bears with a second-place finish. Keep in mind that the lineup did not include Michael Kim, 2013 College Player of the Year, and senior Michael Weaver because of their participation in the Walker Cup.
3. Georgia: It may be a surprise, but Georgia finished second to Georgia Tech at the Carpet Capital Collegiate. The No. 11 team in Golfweek's preseason rankings, the Bulldogs were led by seniors Joey Garber and Michael Cromie, who finished fourth and T-5, respectively.
4. Central Florida: The Knights posted a final-round 5-under 283 to win the Northern Intercollegiate by a shot over Virginia. Senior Greg Eason shot a final-round 5-under 67 to finish second.
5. Akron: The Zips came out firing during the final round of the Golfweek Program Challenge at True Blue in Myrtle Beach, S.C., and won the tournament by five shots.
1. Corey Conners, Kent State: For the second year in a row, the Kent State senior won The Gopher Invitational, this time by one shot over Cal’s Brandon Hagy. He became the first back-to-back winner in the tournament's nine-year history. It was the second victory of Conners’ career.
2. Ollie Schniederjans, Georgia Tech: He tied for first with North Carolina’s Bailey Patrick to earn his first collegiate victory. Schniederjans finished the season No. 29 in the Golfweek rankings during his sophomore season.
3. Roman Robledo, Houston: The Cougar junior won Houston’s season opener at the Northern Intercollegiate. This is his second win in his last three starts dating back to last season.
4. J.T. Poston, Western Carolina: Started the final round tied for the lead, but fired a 2-under 70 to win by four shots for his first collegiate victory.
5. Collegians play at Walker Cup: The 44th Walker Cup took place over the weekend at National Golf Links of America in Southampton, N.Y. USA defeated Great Britain and Ireland, 17-9, with the help of five preseason top-10 players – Michael Kim (Cal), Patrick Rodgers (Stanford), Bobby Wyatt (Alabama), Cory Whitsett (Alabama) and Michael Weaver (Cal). Jordan Niebrugge, a sophomore at Oklahoma State, was also on the team. On the GB&I Team, Matthew Fitzpatrick (Northwestern), Gavin Moynihan (Alabama) and Rhys Pugh (East Tennessee State).
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek preseason rankings fared:
1. California: 4th, The Gopher Invitational
2. Alabama: DNP
3. Oklahoma State: DNP
4. Georgia Tech: Won, Carpet Capital Collegiate
5. UCLA: DNP
• • •
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweekpreseason rankings fared:
1. Michael Kim, California: DNP (Walker Cup)
2. Patrick Rodgers, Stanford: DNP (Walker Cup)
3. Bobby Wyatt, Alabama: DNP (Walker Cup)
4. Cory Whitsett, Alabama: DNP (Walker Cup)
5. Julien Brun, TCU: DNP