Women's Midweek Report: USC, Duke win
Tuesday, April 1, 2014
Welcome to Golfweek’s Women's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest women's college news.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
- 1. USC: The Trojans won for the seventh time this season March 26 at Farms Country Club in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., tying a school record. The top-ranked Trojans finished three shots ahead of Stanford and UCLA, who tied for second.
- 2. Duke: The Blue Devils swept team and individual titles for the second straight event March 30 at the Bryan National Collegiate at the Champions Course at Bryan Park in Browns Summitt, N.C. Duke finished at 18-over 882 and boasted three individuals in the top 3, including medalist Celine Boutier. This is now the second straight season that Duke has won three tournaments.
- 3. Campbell: Campbell won its fourth tournament of the season April 1 at the John Kirk Panther Intercollegiate. The Camels set a tournament record with a 12-over 876 at Eagle's Landing Country Club in Stockbridge, Ga. They finished 15 shots better than runner-up Georgia State.
- 4. Pepperdine: Pepperdine finished nine shots clear of Washington in winning the Anuenue Spring Break Classic March 26 in Kapalua, Hawaii.
- 5. UCLA: The second-ranked Bruins tied for second at the SDSU Farms Invitational, finishing behind USC for the third time in four events this spring.
- 1. Karen Chung, USC: The freshman took medalist honors for the first time in her college career at the SDSU Farms Invitational. Chung recorded rounds of 74-68-66 to finish at 8-under 208, two shots clear of the field.
- 2. Celine Boutier, Duke: The sophomore won the individual title at the Bryan National Collegiate. She finished at even-par 216 and won by a single shot.
- 3. Maria Palacios, Georgia State: While her team finished runner-up at the John Kirk Panther Intercollegiate, Palacios won a three-way playoff for medalist honors over Campbell's Kaylin Yost and Georgia's Amira Alexander.
- 4. Grace Na, Pepperdine: Na won for the second straight time at the Anuenue Spring Break Classic, this time shooting 70-66-69 to win by eight shots.
- 5. Alison Lee, UCLA: The freshman, who is Golfweek's top-ranked individual, was the Bruins high finisher for the third straight event as she took solo fourth at the SDSU Farms Invitational.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
- 1. USC: won, SDSU Farms Invitational
- 2. UCLA: T-2, SDSU Farms Invitational
- 3. Duke: won, Bryan National Collegiate
- 4. Stanford: T-2, SDSU Farms Invitational
- 5. Arkansas: DNP
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
- 1. Alison Lee, UCLA: fourth, SDSU Farms Invitational
- 2. Yu Liu, Duke: T-3, Bryan National Collegiate
- 3. Annie Park, USC: T-11, SDSU Farms Invitational
- 4. Stephanie Meadow, Alabama: DNP
- 5. Mariah Stackhouse: T-5, SDSU Farms Invitational