Women's Midweek Report: USC wins match play
Wednesday, April 9, 2014
Welcome to Golfweek’s Women's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest women's college news.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
- 1. USC: The top-ranked Trojans won the Liz Murphey Collegiate April 6 in Athens, Ga. USC defeated Arkansas, 3-2, in the match-play final. Kyung Kim, Karen Chung and Gabby Then each recorded victories in the championship match.
- 2. South Carolina: The Gamecocks used a second-round, 8-under 280 to help notch a six-shot victory at the Ping/ASU Invitational April 6 in Tempe, Ariz. South Carolina, the No. 12 team in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings, finished at 11-under 853, led by Samantha Swinehart, who finished in a tie for third at 5 under.
- 3. Florida State: Florida State closed with a 5-under 283 to notch a 24-shot victory April 8 at the Web.com Intercollegiate at Marsh Landing Country Club in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. The 31st-ranked Seminoles finished at 13-under 851 and were the only team under par for the tournament.
- 4. Baylor: The Bears won the weather-shortened title at the SMU/Dallas Athletic Club Invitational on April 6. The third round of play was cancelled due to lightning, giving the Bears a four-stroke victory over runner-up LSU through 36 holes. Baylor finished at 15 over par, led by junior Hayley Davis, who finished in a tie for second at 2 over.
- 5. New Mexico State: The Aggies posted a wire-to-wire victory Tuesday at the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic at Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa, Ariz. New Mexico State finished at 23-over 887, nine shots head of runner-up Santa Clara.
- 1. Celine Boutier, Duke: The sophomore took medalist honors at the Ping/ASU Invitational after finishing at 8-under 208. She shot sub-70 rounds on Friday and Saturday and finished up with a 70 on Sunday.
- 2. Matilda Castren, Florida State: The freshman captured medalist honors for Florida State at the Web.com Intercollegiate, finishing at 12-under 204. She won by four shots over teammate Alex Milan and Maryland’s Juliet Vongphoumy. It was her second victory of the spring.
- 3. Elizabeth Mallett, North Carolina: The sophomore took medalist honors at the SMU/Dallas Athletic Club Invitational after finishing at 3-under 141. She beat out the next-best golfer by five strokes. Mallett made four birdies in her final round en route to a 3-under 69, which tied the lowest single-round score of the tournament.
- 4. Alice Kim, Gonzaga: Kim won the individual title April 8 at the Gold Rush with a 1-under 215, two shots better than teammate Ciera Min and Long Beach State’s Rochelle Chan.
- 5. Sarah Storandt, North Dakota State: Storandt won medalist honors April 8 at the Kansas City Shootout with a 7-over 223, six shots clear of the field.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
- 1. USC: won, Liz Murphey Collegiate
- 2. UCLA: DNP
- 3. Duke: T-2, Ping/ASU Invitational
- 4. Stanford: DNP
- 5. Arkansas: second, Liz Murphey Collegiate
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
- 1. Alison Lee, UCLA: DNP
- 2. Annie Park, USC: DNP
- 3. Yu Liu, Duke: seventh, Ping/ASU Invitational
- 4. Stephanie Meadow, Alabama: DNP
- 5. Noemi Jimenez, Arizona State: second, Ping/ASU Invitational