Men's Midweek Report: Stanford, Wilson win
Welcome to Golfweek’s Men's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest men's college news, April 9-15.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. Stanford: The Cardinal ran away with the title at the Western Intercollegiate in the play six-count-five format on April 13 by 16 shots. Stanford had four of its six players in the field finish inside the top 15 at Pasatiempo GC.
2. Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jacket’s 18-shot victory at the Robert Kepler Invitational on April 13 was its fourth of the season and second consecutive heading into the ACC Championships.
3. Mississippi State: In the rain-shortened Reunion Intercollegiate, Mississippi State came away with a four-stroke win on April 15. Axel Boasson and Joe Sakulpolphaisan finished inside the top 10 at Reunion Golf and Country Club.
4. Kentucky: The Wildcats with the big victory at its own UK Bluegrass Invitational on April 13. It was the team’s first victory of the year at the University Club of Lexington.
5. Washington: The Huskies shot for a final round of 354 to earn runner-up honors at the Western Intercollegiate over No. 5 California in the Golfweek/Sagarin College Rankings. Washington had Trevor Simsby and Jonathan Sanders finish inside the top 10 on April 13.
1. Cameron Wilson, Stanford: The senior made a 30-foot birdie putt on the 18th hole at Pasatiempo Golf Club for a two-shot victory over teammate Patrick Rodgers. Wilson came away with his first victory of the year.
2. Ollie Schniederjans, Georgia Tech: Even though Schniederjans tied for first with Ohio State’s Frederik Hammer, this victory at the Robert Kepler Invitational was his fourth of the season tying him with Rodgers and Houston’s Roman Robledo for most in 2013-14. He fired a 67 in the final round at The Ohio State Scarlet Golf Course.
3. Pep Angles, Central Arkansas: Angles shot 73-68 at the Reunion Intercollegiate for a three-shot win April 15. Angles was tied for 13th heading into the final round at Reunion G&CC.
4. Matt Gilchrest, Auburn: The freshman edged out teammate Niclas Carlsson for his first collegiate victory by three. Gilchrest shot 68-68-71 at the UK Bluegrass Invitational.
5. Steven Ihm, Iowa: Ihm, a senior, won the Hawkeye/Great River Entertainment Invitational. He shot 69-71-69 on Finkbine Golf Club for a two-shot win.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Alabama: DNP
2. Georgia: DNP
3. Georgia Tech: Won, Robert Kepler Invitational
4. Oklahoma State: DNP
5. California: Third, Western Intercollegiate
• • •
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Joey Garber, Georgia:DNP
2. Robby Shelton, Alabama: DNP
3. Patrick Rodgers, Stanford: Second, Western Intercollegiate
4. Ollie Schniederjans, Georgia Tech: T-1, Robert Kepler Invitational
5. Cameron Wilson, Stanford: Won, Western Intercollegiate