Men's Midweek Report: Oklahoma St. claims 3rd win
Welcome to Golfweek’s Men's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest men's college news.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. Oklahoma State: The Cowboys went wire-to-wire at The Amer Ari in Hawaii on Feb. 8. Not only did they win, the team won by 14 shots and finished with a three-round total of 45 under. It’s the team’s third straight victory dating back to the fall season.
2. Oklahoma: No. 12 in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings, the Sooners picked up their second team win of the season at the UTSA Oak Hills Invitational on Feb. 11. It finished with a 24-over 876 in San Antonio for a five-shot win.
3. San Diego: The team shot 3-under 285 in the final round of The Farms Collegiate – a home event – to win by 14 shots on Feb. 11 in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif. The Toreros were the only team under par at the tournament.
4. Ball State: The Cardinals won the MAC Match Play title at Jovita Golf and Country Club in Dade, Fla., on Feb. 11. The team went 3-0 and defeated top-seeded Eastern Michigan in the final match, 4-2, for the win.
5. Liberty: Liberty shared the title at the Sea Best Invitational on Feb. 4 with North Florida. The Flames, No. 26 in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings, captured its first win since Oct. 2012 and beat out the sixth-ranked team in the country, Texas A&M and No. 23 South Carolina.
1. Jordan Niebrugge, Oklahoma State: Niebrugge picked up his first collegiate victory in Hawaii at The Amer Ari by a single shot. He shot rounds of 67-68-65 for a 16-under total. He is ranked No. 88.
2. Kyle Jones, Baylor: The junior from Snowflake, Ariz., won the UTSA Oak Hills Invitational for the second consecutive year. Jones shot 69-71-73 to hang on for the one-shot victory.
3. Grant Forrest, San Diego: Forrest tied for first at The Farms Collegiate with Jimmy Beck of Kennesaw State at 6 under. Forrest, who played in the 2013 Open Championship, shot 67-72-71.
4. Jimmy Beck, Kennesaw State: Beck, a junior from Columbus, Ga., fired a final round 2-under 70 to come back and tie for medalist honors at The Farms Collegiate with Forest. This is Beck’s third collegiate victory.
5. Tyler Merkel, Ball State: Merkel, a senior, won all three of his matches during MAC Match Play, including the final match over Eastern Michigan’s Brett White.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Alabama: DNP
2. Oklahoma State: Won, The Amer Ari Invitational
3. California: DNP
4. Georgia Tech: T-7, The Amer Ari Invitational
5. Illinois: DNP
• • •
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Trey Mullinax, Alabama: DNP
2. Joey Garber, Georgia: DNP
3. Brandon Hagy, California: DNP
4. Ben Crancer, Texas A&M: T-3, Sea Best Invitational
5. Chase Koepka, USF: DNP