Men's Midweek Report: Arkansas wins at the Gator
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
Welcome to Golfweek’s Men's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest men's college news.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. Arkansas: The Razorbacks opened its spring with a victory at the Gator Invitational. The 19th-ranked team in the country finished six-shots better than Florida State. This team could be a surprise come May at the NCAA Championships.
2. Auburn: Ranked 26th by Golfweek, the Tigers defended its title at the Mobile Bay Intercollegiate on Feb. 18. Senior Niclas Carlsson and freshman Will Long both finished in the top-three for the Tigers en route to a six shot win.
3. Stanford: No, the Cardinal haven’t officially won The Prestige at PGA West, but with a 14-shot lead, it’s safe to say the team played very well this week in La Quinta, Calif. Lead by junior Patrick Rodgers, this team is rounding into shape at the perfect time.
4. Cal State Fullerton: A 16-shot win at the Folino Invitational was the Titans third win of the season. All five players finished inside the top-16 in the win.
5. Texas San Antonio: The team beat out Sam Houston State by three strokes for the Rice Intercollegiate victory on Feb. 18. The Roadrunners defended its title for their first win of the season.
1. Trey Rule, Mercer: Rule won medalist honors over Florida State’s Lebioda on the second playoff hole at the Gator Invitational. Rule, who went wire-to-wire, finished at 4-under 206. He is now 68th in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings.
2. Clancy Waugh, Wake Forest: Waugh made some history when he won the Mobile Bay Intercollegiate. He became the first Deacon freshman to win a tournament since 2004 and just the 11th freshman in Wake Forest history to win an event.
3. Jamison Randall, Old Dominion: A 69 in the final round gave Randall medalist honors by two shots at the Rice Intercollegiate for a come-from-behind victory. This is second collegiate win and his second win this year.
4. Mark Anguiano, Cal State Fullerton: Anguiano picked up his second win of the season and his fifth top-five finish at the Folino Invitational on Feb. 18. He shot 66-68-70 to win by 10.
5. Hank Lebioda, Florida State: Lebioda shot a final-round 3-under 67 just to tie Rule and get a chance at the title. The sophomore and 2012-13 ACC Freshman of the Year is still looking for his first collegiate win.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Alabama: DNP
2. Oklahoma State: DNP
3. California: DNP
4. Georgia Tech: DNP
5. Illinois: DNP
• • •
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Trey Mullinax, Alabama: DNP
2. Joey Garber, Georgia: DNP
3. Brandon Hagy, California: DNP
4. Ben Crancer, Texas A&M: DNP
5. Chase Koepka, USF: DNP
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.