Women's Midweek Report: Arkansas, Stanford win
Welcome to Golfweek’s Women's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest women's college news.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
- Arkansas: The Razorbacks, ranked seventh in the Golfweek/Sagarin rankings, notched the most impressive victory of the week, winning by 14 shots at the Lady Puerto Rico Classic on Feb. 18. Arkansas placed three players in the top 4 and finished atop a field that included No. 8 Alabama, No. 16 Iowa State, No. 19 North Carolina State and No. 21 Northwestern. (Click here to read more about Arkansas' win)
- Stanford: The fifth-ranked Cardinal defended their title at the Peg Barnard Invitational, winning by 16 shots on Feb. 16. It was Stanford's eighth victory in the event since 1995. Three players finished T-4 or better, too, for the Cardinal. (Click here to read more about Stanford's victory)
- South Carolina: The 14th-ranked Gamecocks finished two shots better than No. 12 Clemson in winning the Florida State Match-Up on Feb. 16. All five players notched top-20 finishes for South Carolina. (Click here to read more about South Carolina's win)
- Vanderbilt: The 15th-ranked Commodores notched their first victory since 2007, capturing the Central District Invitational on Feb. 18. Vanderbilt set a new program 54-hole scoring record with a final score of 844, which also broke the tournament scoring record by 13 shots. (Click here to read more about Vanderbilt's victory)
- Alabama: The eighth-ranked Crimson Tide did not win this week. Instead, Alabama, which won in its fall finale, tied for sixth at the Lady Puerto Rico Classic and finished a disappointing 26 shots back of winner Arkansas.
- Stephanie Meadow, Alabama: While Alabama tied for sixth at the Lady Puerto Rico Classic, Meadow, Golfweek's second-ranked individual, closed with two straight 68s to share medalist honors at 5-under 211. It was Meadow's ninth individual title, which adds to her school-record total.
- Simin Feng, Vanderbilt: The freshman notched her first collegiate victory at the Central District Invitational. Feng shot 9-under 207, the lowest total in the event's 14-year history, and earned medalist honors via a scorecard tiebreaker over Michigan State's Allyssa Ferrell.
- Matilda Castren, Florida State: The freshman won the Florida State Match-Up by six shots over South Carolina's Sarah Schmelzel. It was Castren's first individual title and the first for the Seminoles since 2012.
- Dana Finkelstein, UNLV: Finkelstein recorded her second career victory, winning the Peg Barnard Invitational with a total of 5-under 137. Her final-round 68 matched her career-best single round.
- Aurora Kan, Purdue: Kan was the other co-medalist along with Alabama's Stephanie Meadow at the Lady Puerto Rico Classic. The junior birdied her final hole to finish at 5-under 211 and win for the second time this season – she also was victorious at the Butler Fall Invitational last fall.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
- USC: DNP
- UCLA: DNP
- Duke: DNP
- Washington: DNP
- Stanford: won, Peg Barnard Invitational
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
- Annie Park, USC: DNP
- Stephanie Meadow, Alabama: T-1, Lady Puerto Rico Classic
- Alison Lee, UCLA: DNP
- Yu Huan Liu, Duke: DNP
- Mariah Stackhouse, Stanford: T-4, Peg Barnard Invitational