Men's Midweek Report: Alabama continues to win
Tuesday, March 4, 2014
Welcome to Golfweek’s Men's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest men's college news from Feb. 19-26.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. Alabama: The Crimson Tide won their 11th straight tournament at the Puerto Rico Classic on Feb. 25, and their fifth tournament of the season. Alabama's 45-under total was the second-best score in school history. Is this team ever going to lose this season?
2. California: At the rain-shortened John Burns Intercollegiate, the Bears won the tournament by nine shots over Texas A&M on Feb. 20. All five players finished inside the top 14. It’s the second win of the spring – fourth overall – for this veteran team.
3. Oklahoma State: The Cowboys cruised to their fourth-straight win at the John Hayt Collegiate Invitational on Feb. 25. Freshman Zachary Olsen lead the way with a third-place finish. This team is back in the mix for a national championship run.
4. Houston: The 13th-ranked team in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings, won the Bayou City Collegiate Championship on Feb. 23 for their second victory of the season. All five of its players finished inside the top 15 on the individual leaderboard. This could be the surprise team of the spring.
5. Oregon: The Ducks won their first tournament of the season at the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate on Feb. 23. This is the first tournament win for the 41st-ranked team in the country since last March at its own Duck Invitational.
1. Co-medalists in Puerto Rico: Clemson’s Miller Capps and Alabama’s Robby Shelton shared medalist honors at Rio Mar Country Club at 12 under. This is Shelton’s second victory in five collegiate events, and this is Capps' first victory. Capps and Shelton shot 12-under 204.
2. Anthony Paolucci, USC: The junior recorded his first collegiate victory at the Jones Invitational. The 51st-ranked player birdied the 18th hole at Saticoy CC to win the title on Feb. 25.
3. Roman Robledo, Houston: Robledo won his first individual title of the season. No. 44 in the Golfweek Rankings, Robledo won the Bayou City Championship with two bogey-free rounds at the Golf Club of Houston.
4. Julien Brun, TCU: Brun claimed his seventh collegiate title at the Wyoming Cowboy Desert Intercollegiate on Feb. 23. No. 11 in the Golfweek Rankings, Brun shot a final-round 7-under 65.
5. Greg Eason, Central Florida: He cracked the Haskins Watch List last week and needed a victory to stay on the list. Eason, 25th in the rankings, picked up his first win of the season at the John Hayt Collegiate at Sawgrass Country Club.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Alabama: Won, Puerto Rico Classic
2. California: Won, John Burns Intercollegiate
3. Oklahoma State: Won, John Hayt Collegiate Invitational
4. Georgia Tech: Second, Puerto Rico Classic
5. Illinois: DNP
• • •
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Trey Mullinax, Alabama: T-8, Puerto Rico Classic
2. Joey Garber, Georgia: T-3, Puerto Rico Classic
3. Brandon Hagy, California: T-14, John Burns Intercollegiate
4. Wyndham Clark, Oklahoma State: T-6, John Hayt Collegiate Intercollegiate
5. Robby Shelton, Alabama: T-1, Puerto Rico Classic
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.