Could 2014 be the last run for Duval?
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
This could be a make-or-break season for former World No. 1 David Duval, who last month took to Twitter to roll out his game plan for 2014. Duval, 42, made only eight starts last season, failed to break 70 and made but one cut, earning $6,210 at Reno- Tahoe. With limited status on the PGA Tour as a past champion, Duval is hoping to get 18-22 starts this season, and knows he’ll mainly need to rely on sponsor exemptions.
“I’ve asked and tournaments have helped me out pretty good. I don’t want anyone to think that I’m going to be one of these people who ask year after year and take up space,” Duval told The Man Out Front. “At some point you have to draw a line and say it’s up to me to take care of this now and not ask for help. I’m convinced if I can put together a full schedule, I can retain my card.”
Duval said he would be sending e-mails to tournament directors right around the New Year holiday. By late December, his only confirmed starts were the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, the Puerto Rico Open and the Open Championship at Royal Liverpool.
Duval’s string of 15 tweets outlining his goal to finish in the top 125 on the money list caught many by surprise, leading Duval to clarify one day later, “Last night’s tweets were not a retirement announcement.”
But if he fails to achieve his goal, what will he do next?
“I don’t know,” Duval said. “It’s your job to ask that question. But I’m not planning on that scenario.”
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.