Men's spring preview: SWAC
Saturday, January 25, 2014
During the month of January, Golfweek will preview the spring season for each conference. Today, we look at the SWAC Conference:
• • •
5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
• Top of the class: Alabama State
• Player to watch: Francis Berthiaume, Alabama State.
• Freshman to watch: Donnell Lynch, Jackson State
• Conference championship: April 21-23, Oak Wing Golf Club, Alexandria, La.
• Past champions (since 2009): Alabama State (2012-13), Jackson State (2009-11)
• • •
(Golfweek/Sagarin rank in parentheses)
- Alabama State (No. 219): Won the ASU Fall Classic while sophomore Francis Berthiaume captured the title for a clean sweep at home.
- Jackson State (No. 271): The Tigers finished second at the UIS Island Getaway Classic for its best finish of the fall.
- Texas Southern (No. 296): Won the Matthew/Browns Memorial and the Prairie View A&M Invitational. Sophomore William Wells captured both titles (tied with teammate junior Luis Colon-Gonzalez at Matthew/Browns Memorial).
- Arkansas Pine Bluff (No. 298): Won the Fall River City Golf Classic and its home Pine Bluff Collegiate Golf Classic. Also finished runner-up at the Alcorn State tournament and the Prairie View A&M University Fall Golf Classic.
- Alcorn State (No. 299): The Alcorn A’s had the 302nd-ranked schedule and had a 6-9-0 record after the fall season.
- Alabama A&M (No. 300): Tied for first at the Black College Hall of Fame tournament and finished third at the Mississippi Valley State Invitational.
- Prairie View A&M (No. 301): The Panthers had the 299th-hardest schedule with an overall record of 7-18-0.
- Mississippi Valley State (No. 302): In three events, the team finished with an 0-12 record with the 298th toughest schedule.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.