Fowler among Ryder Cup movers at Open
Monday, July 21, 2014
"Two words to sum it up, Ryder Cup."
That's what Rickie Fowler said of his British Open runner-up performance. Never mind that it has him 3-for-3 finishing in the top five at majors this year.
At Royal Liverpool, Fowler was thinking of Gleneagles and the fact he rose from seventh to third in Ryder Cup points – pretty much securing a spot on the U.S. roster. He also let his patriotic spirit shine on Twitter.
"Well, going into the year the goal was to be in contention at majors and play well and have chances to win – and with the good play, the long-distance goal on that was to be on the Ryder Cup team," Fowler said. "With the way I've played in the majors this year, that's definitely what has given me the opportunity to represent the country and play in the Ryder Cup."
Jim Furyk also boosted his standing, rising two spots to fourth in the U.S. points standings.
Just outside the bubble, Phil Mickelson moved up a spot to 11th, swapping places with Brendon Todd. Ryan Moore climbed three spots to 14th, while Webb Simpson dropped two spots to 16th.
Keegan Bradley, who played Gleneagles with captain Tom Watson before the Open began, climbed two spots to 16th.
Tiger Woods, on the other hand, climbed two spots but stands 70th – intending to play just two more events before the FedEx Cup playoffs for which he's yet to qualify.
"Well, I'd like to win the next two tournaments I'm in. That should take care of that," Woods said when asked if he'd consider adding events outside the U.S. before the Watson must make his selections. Woods also said he thinks he merits being picked.
"I would say yes. But that's my position, my take on it," Woods said. "Well, he's the captain. Obviously it's his decision. He's going to field the best 12 players that he thinks will win the Cup back. And I hope I'm on that team."
Far as the European roster goes, Rory McIlroy leads the top four of the European points list, with Victor Dubuisson, Jamie Donaldson and Henrik Stenson claiming the other three spots. The next five in World points also earn spots before captain's picks are made – with Sergio Garcia (third), Justin Rose (fourth), Martin Kaymer (fifth), Thomas Bjorn (sixth) and Luke Donald (eighth) in line for those spots.
Donald's 64th-place finish at the Open dropped him to just eight points ahead of Stephen Gallacher and 11.5 points ahead of Graeme McDowell, who finished T-9 and T-15 respectively.
• • •
The top nine make the team:
- Bubba Watson . . . 6,828.138
- Jimmy Walker . . . 5,510.205
- Rickie Fowler . . . 5,403.253
- Jim Furyk . . . 5,259.594
- Dustin Johnson . . . 5,133.806
- Jordan Spieth . . . 4,781.828
- Matt Kuchar . . . 4,764.065
- Jason Dufner . . . 3,516.345
- Zach Johnson . . . 3,450.894
- Patrick Reed . . . 3,301.393
- Phil Mickelson . . . 3,252.839
- Brendon Todd . . . 3,250.482
- Chris Kirk . . . 3,226.882
- Ryan Moore . . . 3,118.871
- Webb Simpson . . . 3,086.070
- Keegan Bradley . . . 3,016.697
- Harris English . . . 2,966.569
- Kevin Na . . . 2,878.817
- Matt Every . . . 2,471.805
- Erik Compton . . . 2,458.793
• • •
The top four make the team:
- Rory McIlroy . . . 3051298.44
- Victor Dubuisson . . . 2631723.27
- Jamie Donaldson . . . 2398823.78
- Henrik Stenson . . . 2393504.67
- Thomas Björn . . . 2351204.85
- Martin Kaymer . . . 1968602.18
- Ian Poulter . . . 1910151.26
- Justin Rose . . . 1846094.97
- Sergio Garcia . . . 1835656.78
- Joost Luiten . . . 1568079.36
The top five not already qualified via European points make the team:
- Rory McIlroy . . . 358.26
- Henrik Stenson . . . 346.99
- Sergio Garcia . . . 317.40
- Justin Rose . . . 261.33
- Martin Kaymer . . . 245.87
- Thomas Björn . . . 193.77
- Victor Dubuisson . . . 186.97
- Luke Donald . . . 162.44
- Jamie Donaldson . . . 162.23
- Stephen Gallacher . . . 154.44
- Graeme McDowell . . . 150.93
- Ian Poulter . . . 147.43
- Miguel Angel Jimenéz . . . 140.61
- Francesco Molinari . . . 133.44
- Joost Luiten . . . 123.50
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.