Neil, Strom lead Europe's Junior Ryder Cup selections
Scotland's Bradley Neil and Sweden's Linnea Strom were among 12 boys and girls selected to Europe's 2014 Junior Ryder Cup team.
Neil, the fifth-ranked player in the World Amateur Golf Ranking, won the British Amateur last month and was the first name to be announced by European captain Stuart Wilson. Strom is the fifth-ranked player in the women's World Amateur Golf Ranking, and won the Spanish Ladies Amateur in March and the Polo Golf Junior Classic last November.
Strom is also one of three players making a second appearance in the event, which will be played Sept. 22-23 at Blairgowrie Golf Club in Scotland. Denmark's Emily Pedersen, ranked 12th in the women's WAGR and winner of the 2014 Ladies British Amateur, and Italy's Renato Paratore, ranked ninth in the WAGR, are the other two.
The U.S. team will be announced Aug. 12. The top two boys finishers and top two girls finishers in this week's Junior PGA Championship qualify automatically.
Here is the full European roster (WAGR rank in parentheses):
- Mathilda Cappeliez (57), France
- Alexandra Forsterling (1,113), Germany
- Virginia Carta (23), Italy
- Annabel Dimmock (26), England
- Emily Pedersen (12), Denmark
- Linnea Strom (5), Sweden
- John Axelsen (195), Denmark
- Max Schmitt (1,868), Germany
- Ivan Cantero (74), Spain
- Marcus Kinhult (8), Sweden
- Bradley Neil (5), Scotland
- Renato Paratore (9), Italy