2014 U.S. Open Sectionals Preview: Creswell, Ore.
On Monday, the U.S. Open will kick into high gear with sectional qualifying at 10 different U.S. sites. There are 56 spots available at the 10 sites.
Here is a closer look at one of two West Coast sites:
• • •
Emerald Valley Golf Club
Location: Creswell, Ore.
Number of players: 50
Spots available: 2
• • •
Players to watch
• Hunter Hamrick, of Montgomery, Ala., is attempting to qualify for his second U.S. Open. In 2012, Hamrick advanced to The Olympic Club, in San Francisco, through local and sectional play and tied for 46th. A college All-American at Alabama, Hamrick reached the second round at the 2007 U.S. Junior Amateur and currently competes on PGA Tour Canada.
• Jonathan Moore, of Stillwater, Okla., was a member of the 2007 USA Walker Cup Team. He won the 2006 NCAA Division I Championship to earn an exemption into that year’s U.S. Open sectional qualifying, after several weeks earlier failing to advance out of local qualifying. He won a playoff for the only spot available at the Creswell, Ore., sectional site.
• Cheng-Tsung Pan, of Chinese Taipei, is an All-America golfer at the University of Washington who has played in two U.S. Opens. He tied for 45th last year at Merion Golf Club. In 2007, he became the youngest U.S. Amateur quarterfinalist (age 15) since Bob Jones. Pan has played in six of the past seven U.S. Amateurs.
• Easton Paxton, 15, of Riverton, Wyo., is a freshman at Riverton High School and the state’s Class 4A champion. He shot a 66 in U.S. Open local qualifying and won medalist honors by five strokes. Paxton lost his mother, Kara, to brain cancer last July following a four-year battle and he honors her by continuing to play golf. He is entered in qualifiers for this year’s U.S. Amateur Public Links and U.S. Junior Amateur.
• Corey Prugh, of Spokane, Wash., comes from a family of golfers. He and his brother, Alex, played at the University of Washington. Alex, a PGA Tour player who qualified for the 2007 U.S. Open, is entered in this year’s Memphis, Tenn., sectional. Their father, Steve, is the head professional at Manito Golf & Country Club who played in the 2006 U.S. Senior Open. Their sister, Hillary, played collegiately at Montana State.
• Nick Taylor, of Canada, was the low amateur at the 2009 U.S. Open and shot a second-round 65 at Bethpage State Park’s Black Course. He finished as the 2009 U.S. Amateur Public Links runner-up and was awarded the Mark H. McCormack Medal. Taylor played collegiately at Washington and was the 2008 NCAA runner-up.
• • •
7:30 a.m.: Dylan Maine, Tee: 1
7:30 a.m.: Ted Brown, Tee: 1
7:30 a.m.: Brien Davis, Tee: 10
7:30 a.m.: Joel Skarbo, Tee: 10
7:40 a.m.: Josh Persons, Tee: 1
7:40 a.m.: Derek Baade, Tee: 1
7:40 a.m.: Cameron White, Tee: 10
7:40 a.m.: Matt Marshall, Tee: 10
7:50 a.m.: Paul Peterson, Tee: 1
7:50 a.m.: David Phay, Tee: 1
7:50 a.m.: Michael Gligic, Tee: 10
7:50 a.m.: Adam Svensson, Tee: 10
8:00 a.m.: Derek Gillespie, Tee: 1
8:00 a.m.: Drew Preston, Tee: 1
8:00 a.m.: Daniel McCarthy, Tee: 10
8:00 a.m.: Brandon McIver, Tee: 10
8:10 a.m.: Brian Thornton, Tee: 1
8:10 a.m.: Chris Babcock, Tee: 1
8:10 a.m.: Jim Mee, Tee: 10
8:10 a.m.: Ty Travis, Tee: 10
8:20 a.m.: Zac Blair, Tee: 1
8:20 a.m.: Nick Taylor, Tee: 1
8:20 a.m.: Zenon Brown, Tee: 10
8:20 a.m.: Chris Hemmerich, Tee: 10
8:30 a.m.: Max Bonk, Tee: 1
8:30 a.m.: Michael Hare, Tee: 1
8:30 a.m.: Hunter Hamrick, Tee: 10
8:30 a.m.: Jonathan Moore, Tee: 10
8:40 a.m.: Cory Mehl, Tee: 1
8:40 a.m.: Corey Prugh, Tee: 1
8:40 a.m.: Jarred Bossio, Tee: 10
8:40 a.m.: Wes Homan, Tee: 10
8:50 a.m.: Riley Wheeldon, Tee: 1
8:50 a.m.: Clayton Rask, Tee: 1
8:50 a.m.: Cheng-Tsung Pan, Tee: 10
8:50 a.m.: Chan Kim, Tee: 10
9:00 a.m.: Peter Campbell, Tee: 1
9:00 a.m.: Dan Whitaker, Tee: 1
9:00 a.m.: Ryann Ree, Tee: 10
9:00 a.m.: Sean Dale, Tee: 10
9:10 a.m.: Matt Rutledge, Tee: 1
9:10 a.m.: Travis Ross, Tee: 1
9:10 a.m.: Kevin Murphy, Tee: 10
9:10 a.m.: John Buffalo, Tee: 10
9:20 a.m.: Dylan Wu, Tee: 1
9:20 a.m.: Jonathan Sanders, Tee: 1
9:20 a.m.: Timothy Madigan, Tee: 10
9:20 a.m.: Samuel Cyr, Tee: 10
9:30 a.m.: James Knous, Tee: 1
9:30 a.m.: Easton Paxton, Tee: 1
• • •