2014 U.S. Open Sectionals Preview: Rockville, Md.
On Monday, the U.S. Open will kick into high gear with sectional qualifying at 10 different U.S. sites. There are 56 spots available at the 10 sites.
Here is a closer look at the only qualifier in Maryland:
• • •
Woodmont Country Club (North Course)
Location: Rockville, Md.
Number of players: 59
Spots available: 4
• • •
Players to watch
• Patrick Cantlay, 22, of Long Beach, Calif., has played in two U.S. Opens and was the low amateur in 2011, tying for 21st. Cantlay reached the 2011 U.S. Amateur final (losing to Kelly Kraft) and was a member of the 2011 USA Walker Cup Team. Cantlay captured his first professional victory on the Web.com Tour in March 2013.
• Jeff Curl, of Birmingham, Ala., is attempting to qualify for his second U.S. Open. His father, Rod, is a full-blooded Native American who won the PGA Tour’s 1974 Colonial National Invitation. His brother, Rod, is the head golf professional at Hammock Creek Golf Club in Florida.
• Adam Decker, 39, of Mechanicsville, Va., is in his ninth season as the head coach of the University of Richmond golf team. He was named 2010 Atlantic-10 Conference Coach of the Year and has led the Spiders to an NCAA regional appearance and five tournament titles.
• Eric Egloff, 49, of Rockville, Md., is a former PGA Tour caddie who worked for Kelly Gibson and John Morse. A high school friend, Paul Graham, was the road manager for the band Hootie and the Blowfish and the group sponsored Egloff in his playing career at one time.
• Jack Fields, of Southern Pines, N.C., won the 2011 North & South Amateur at Pinehurst No. 2. The former University of North Carolina standout grew up near the course and attended Pinecrest High School.
• Taylor Funk, of Ponte Vedra, Fla., is the son of 2009 U.S. Senior Open champion Fred Funk. Taylor, a freshman on the University of Texas golf team, won the 2013 Florida high school Class 2A championship.
• Mark Hill, of Media, Pa., was a Minor League baseball player after a collegiate career as an infielder at George Mason University. His cousin, Bob Horner, was an All-Star with the Atlanta Braves and the 1978 National League Rookie of the Year.
• Jim Roy, 54, of Syracuse, N.Y., is attempting to make his first U.S. Open appearance since 1989. Roy, who has played in two U.S. Opens and 10 USGA championships, has competed on the Champions Tour.
• Brad Schneider, of Valrico, Fla., received the David Toms Award, given to a college golfer who has overcome adversity to achieve excellence. Schneider was playing football with his friends seven years ago when his right leg caught behind him. Following nine surgeries and four months in bed, he learned to walk properly again and eventually began playing golf.
• Michael Tobiason Jr., of Wilmington, Del., advanced through U.S. Open local qualifying for the fourth consecutive year. Tobiason, who wears black socks during competition, played at Congressional Country Club in the 2011 U.S. Open.
• Mike Van Sickle, of Wexford, Pa., shot a 3-under 69 to earn medalist honors in U.S. Open local qualifying. His father, Gary, is a golf writer for Sports Illustrated. Van Sickle was a first-team All-American at Marquette University.
• • •
7:00 a.m.: Camiko Smith, Tee: 1
7:00 a.m.: Matthew Bassler, Tee: 1
7:00 a.m.: Nicholas Mason, Tee: 10
7:00 a.m.: McCuen Elmore, Tee: 10
7:00 a.m.: Jake Rogers, Tee: 10
7:12 a.m.: Ryan Nelson, Tee: 1
7:12 a.m.: Randall Hutchison, Tee: 1
7:12 a.m.: John O’Leary, Tee: 1
7:12 a.m.: Isaiah Logue, Tee: 10
7:12 a.m.: Eric Egloff, Tee: 10
7:12 a.m.: Dustin Groves, Tee: 10
7:24 a.m.: Matthew Bettencourt, Tee: 1
7:24 a.m.: Christian Brand, Tee: 1
7:24 a.m.: Robert Kalinowski, Tee: 1
7:24 a.m.: John Mallinger, Tee: 10
7:24 a.m.: Michael Tobiason Jr., Tee: 10
7:24 a.m.: Michael Buttacavoli, Tee: 10
7:36 a.m.: Taylor Funk, Tee: 1
7:36 a.m.: Timothy O’Neal, Tee: 1
7:36 a.m.: Vince Covello, Tee: 1
7:36 a.m.: Weston Eklund, Tee: 10
7:36 a.m.: Chad Collins, Tee: 10
7:36 a.m.: Chris Hockaday, Tee: 10
7:48 a.m.: Kyle Thompson, Tee: 1
7:48 a.m.: Fielding Brewbaker, Tee: 1
7:48 a.m.: Jeff Curl, Tee: 1
7:48 a.m.: Jack Fields, Tee: 10
7:48 a.m.: Brad Schneider, Tee: 10
7:48 a.m.: Will Miles, Tee: 10
8:00 a.m.: Christo Greyling, Tee: 1
8:00 a.m.: Ivan Ramirez, Tee: 1
8:00 a.m.: Yong Joo, Tee: 1
8:00 a.m.: Evan Russell, Tee: 10
8:00 a.m.: Kamito Hirai, Tee: 10
8:00 a.m.: Patrick Cantlay, Tee: 10
8:12 a.m.: Patrick Stolpe, Tee: 1
8:12 a.m.: Will Gordon, Tee: 1
8:12 a.m. J.D. Dornes, Tee: 1
8:12 a.m.: Mike Vansickle, Tee: 10
8:12 a.m.: Paul Claxton, Tee: 10
8:12 a.m.: Richard Fountain, Tee: 10
8:24 a.m.: Jay Lindell, Tee: 1
8:24 a.m.: Adam Decker, Tee: 1
8:24 a.m.: Ryan Sullivan, Tee: 1
8:24 a.m.: Brad Miller, Tee: 10
8:24 a.m.: Justin Young, Tee: 10
8:24 a.m.: James Erkenbeck, Tee: 10
8:36 a.m.: Mark Hill, Tee: 1
8:36 a.m.: Thomas Timby Jr, Tee: 1
8:36 a.m.: Brice Busse, Tee: 1
8:36 a.m.: Scott Shingler, Tee: 10
8:36 a.m.: Donald Constable, Tee: 10
8:36 a.m.: Billy Hurley III, Tee: 10
8:48 a.m.: Crawford Reeves, Tee: 1
8:48 a.m.: Scott Griffin, Tee: 1
8:48 a.m.: Jim Roy, Tee: 1
8:48 a.m.: Ryan Zylstra, Tee: 10
8:48 a.m.: Brian Hollins, Tee: 10
8:48 a.m.: Mikey Moyers, Tee: 10
• • •