Women's Midweek Report: USC wins Bruin Wave
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
Welcome to Golfweek’s Women's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest men's college news, Feb. 27-March 4.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. USC: One tournament removed from their first loss of the season, the Women of Troy won the Bruin Wave Invitational on March 4 by 13 shots. USC, the No. 1 team in the country, have won nine of its last 10 tournaments.
2. Oregon: No. 23 in the Golfweek rankings, the Ducks won the Juli Inkster Spartan Invite by two shots on March 4. It was the team’s first victory of the season.
3. Kent State: Kent State dominated the Kiawah Island Intercollegiate by winning the event by 14 shots. It’s the team’s third tournament win of the season and they are currently ranked 40th by Golfweek.
4. Pepperdine: The Wave had a good showing at the Bruin Wave Invitational. The team shot 7-over 295 in the final round for a second-place finish and were 10 shots in front of second-ranked UCLA.
5. UCLA: It was a struggle for the Bruins in the final round of its own Bruin Wave Invitational. The team shot 20-over 308. The second-ranked team in the country finished in third behind USC and Pepperdine.
1. Kyung Kim, USC: The sophomore won her third collegiate event at the Bruin Wave Invitational over teammates Annie Park and Doris Chen. Kim is No. 8 in the Golfweek rankings.
2. Wad Phaewchimplee, Kent State: The Thailand native and freshman for the Flash won her first collegiate event at the Kiawah Island Intercollegiate. She shot rounds of 69-81-70 for a 4-over 220 total.
3. Katia Joo, Boston: Joo, a junior, tied for Phaewchimplee for a victory at the Kiawah Island Intercollegiate. Joo shot rounds of 73-75 for her first college win.
4. Co-medalists at Juli Inkster: Oregon’s Cathleen Santoso, Cal State Fullerton’s Martina Edberg and New Mexico’s Sammi Stevens tied for medalist honors at Almaden Golf and Country Club for the Juli Inkster Spartan Invite. All shot 3-under 213. Santoso shot a 4-under 68 in the final round for the tie.
5. Annika Award Watch List players: It’s up in the air right now on who could win the inaugural award, but Annie Park and Alison Lee are making it fun week in and week out. Park was T-2 at the Bruin Wave, while Lee was T-4.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. USC: Won, Bruin Wave Invitational
2. UCLA: Third, Bruin Wave Invitational
3. Duke: DNP
4. Stanford: DNP
5. Arizona State: DNP
• • •
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Alison Lee, UCLA: T-4, Bruin Wave Invitational
2. Annie Park, USC: T-2, Bruin Wave Invitational
3. Yu Huan Liu, Duke: DNP
4. Mariah Stackhouse, Stanford: DNP
5. Stephanie Meadow, Alabama: DNP