Men's Midweek Report: Alabama's streak ends
Welcome to Golfweek’s Men's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest men's college news, Feb. 27-March 4.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. Alabama: All good things must come to an end. The Crimson Tide's 11-tournament winning streak ended on March 4 when the team lost by one to Houston at the SMU Querencia Cabo Collegiate. The team shot 10 over in the first round and that put them in third after the first and second round. A bright outlook: Bobby Wyatt, Robby Shelton and Gavin Moynihan finished in the top 10.
2. Houston: A huge victory for the Cougars at the SMU Querencia Cabo Collegiate as they knocked off undefeated and top-ranked Alabama. This is the team’s third victory of the season.
3. Florida State: No. 20 in the Golfweek rankings, the Seminoles won the USF Invitational by 10 strokes on March 4. The team shot 24 under in the final round at Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club. They were nine shots back starting the final round.
4. Tennessee: The Vols won their first tournament of the season at the Davidson College Invitational on March 4. It was an 11-shot victory over the 23rd-ranked team in the country, Kent State.
5. Winthrop: A come-from-behind victory at the Colleton River Collegiate was the Eagles first of the season. The Eagles placed four players inside the top 13.
1. Roman Robledo, Houston: For the second week in a row, Robledo picked up a victory. Robledo won the SMU Querencia Cabo Collegiate. He became the first Cougar since 1999 to win two straight tournaments. This is his third victory of the season.
2. Jack Maguire, Florida State: Maguire shot a bogey-free, 10-under 62 in the final round to claim medalist honors at the USF Invitational. His 62 was a course and Florida State record. His 16-under 200 is the second lowest in school history.
3. Conner Hayden, Radford: The sophomore outplayed U.S. Amateur runner-up Oliver Goss to claim his first collegiate victory at the Davidson College Invitational.
4. Co-medalist Colleton River Collegiate: Michigan State’s Charlie Netzel and Winthrop’s Zach Seabolt shared the title at the Colleton River Collegiate. Netzel and Seabolt were the only players under par at Colleton River’s Dye course.
5. Kevin Lee, Long Beach State: A final-round, 7-under 63 allowed Lee to sneak into the lead and win at the Del Walker Intercollegiate. The sophomore picked up his first win and only his second top-10 finish for the 49ers.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Alabama: Second, SMU Querencia Cabo Collegiate
2. California: DNP
3. Oklahoma State: DNP
4. Georgia Tech: DNP
5. Georgia: DNP
• • •
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Trey Mullinax, Alabama: T-38, SMU Querencia Cabo Collegiate
2. Joey Garber, Georgia: DNP
3. Brandon Hagy, California: DNP
4. Wyndham Clark, Oklahoma State: DNP
5. Robby Shelton, Alabama: Third, SMU Querencia Cabo Collegiate