USGA sets 12 sectional qualifiers for U.S. Open
Monday, March 17, 2014
Ten U.S. sites and two abroad will play host to 36 holes of sectional qualifying for the 2014 U.S. Open at Pinehurst, N.C.
Three cities will stage their qualifiers at two sites. Purchase, N.Y., will use Old Oaks CC and Century CC. Daly City, Calif., will use Lake Merced GC and The Olympic Club’s Ocean Course. Columbus, Ohio, will use Brookside GCC and Scioto CC, the latter of which is slated to host the 2016 U.S. Senior Open.
Also of note: Woodmont CC in Rockville, Md., will stage a sectional qualifier for the 27th time in 28 years, while Springfield CC will host sectional qualifying for the fifth consecutive year and sixth time in seven years.
Players who have won after sectional qualifiers are an exclusive club: Ken Venturi (1964), Orville Moody (1969), Jerry Pate (1976), Steve Jones (1996), Michael Campbell (2005) and Lucas Glover (2009). Venturi and Moody the only players to win after enduring local and sectional qualifiers.
• • •
The 12 sectional qualifying sites for the 2014 U.S. Open to be held in Pinehurst, N.C. on June 12-15; international sites will conduct qualifying May 26, with U.S. sites June 2:
- Nara International Golf Club, Nara Prefecture, Japan
- Walton Heath Golf Club, Surrey, England
- Lake Merced Golf Club and The Olympic Club (Ocean Course), Daly City, Calif.
- Quail Valley Golf Club, Vero Beach, Fla.
- Ansley Golf Club (Settindown Creek Course), Roswell, Ga.
- Woodmont Country Club (North and South Courses), Rockville, Md.
- Old Oaks Country Club and Century Country Club, Purchase, N.Y.
- Brookside Golf and Country Club and Scioto Country Club, Columbus, Ohio
- Springfield Country Club, Springfield, Ohio
- Emerald Valley Golf Club, Creswell, Ore.
- Colonial Country Club (North and South Courses), Memphis, Tenn.
- Lakeside Country Club, Houston
– USGA contributed
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.