Men's Midweek Report: Teams sweep titles
Welcome to Golfweek’s Men's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest men's college news, March 19-26.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. Georgia Tech: The fourth-ranked team in the Golfweek rankings fired a 1-under 283 in the final round for a eight-shot victory over Oklahoma State at the Valspar Collegiate Invitational on March 25. It was the team’s third victory of the season.
2. Arizona State: The Sun Devils swept the field at their own ASU Thunderbird Invitational on March 23 with a 20-shot victory. The 34th-ranked team in the Golfweek rankings saw all five players finish in the top 20 at Karsten Golf Course.
3. Auburn: With a 15-under 273 in the final-round of the Hootie at Bulls Bay Intercollegiate, the Tigers, No. 23 in the Golfweek rankings, claimed their third tournament title of the season March 25. Niclas Carlsson tied for medalist honors with Kentucky’s Ben Stow.
4. Oregon State: The Beavers came from behind at The Duck Invitational to win their first title of the season on March 25. The 68th-ranked Beavers were lead by Kevin Murphy, who finished T-3.
5. Georgia: The only team under par in the final round of the Linger Longer Invitational came away as the victors March 22 at Great Waters Golf Course. The Bulldogs, No. 5 in the Golfweek rankings, won by 10 over No. 1 Alabama.
1. Ollie Schniederjans, Georgia Tech: The junior shot three consecutive 67s en route to his third collegiate victory of the season at the Valspar Collegiate Invitational. With the victory, Schniederjans earns a sponsor exemption into the PGA Tour’s Valspar Championship in 2015.
2. Jon Rahm, Arizona State: Raham, a sophomore, shot 66 and lower in all three rounds of the ASU Thunderbird Invitational on March 23 to claim an eight-stroke win. Along with breaking two school records, Rahm notched his third individual win.
3. Michael Cromie, Georgia: The senior from Cary, N.C., outlasted Alabama’s Robby Shelton in a one-hole playoff to win his second collegiate title at the Linger Longer Invitational. Both players finished at 9 under before Cromie birdied the 18th to win.
4. Clement Sordet, Texas Tech: Sordet, a senior from France, held off some low scores March 23 to claim the Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate in Williamsburg, Va. He is the first Red Raider to claim an individual title this season.
5. Gavin Green, New Mexico: Green took medalist honors on the second playoff hole at the UTSA/Lone Star Invitational on March 25 for his third college victory of the season. He posted a final-round 6-under 66 at Briggs Ranch Golf Course in San Antonio for his best round of the spring season.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Alabama: Second, Linger Longer Invitational
2. Oklahoma State: Second, Valspar Collegiate Invitational
3. California: DNP
4. Georgia Tech: Won, Valspar Collegiate Invitational
5. Georgia: Won, Linger Longer Invitational
• • •
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Joey Garber, Georgia: T-3, Linger Longer Invitational
2. Robby Shelton, Alabama: Second, Linger Longer Invitational
3. Wyndham Clark, Oklahoma State: T-30, Valspar Collegiate Invitational
4. Brandon Hagy, California: DNP
5. Patrick Rodgers, Stanford: DNP