Women's Midweek Report: Arkansas, Lopez win
Tuesday, March 25, 2014
Welcome to Golfweek’s Women's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest women's college news.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
- 1. Arkansas: The Razorbacks won the LSU Golf Classic March 22 in Baton Rouge, La., shooting 18-over 882 to win by eight shots over Central Florida. It's the third win of the season for the Razorbacks and the third victory in four years at the tournament.
- 2. Texas Tech: With the Texas Tech men's team winning the Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate on March 25, the Red Raiders' women's team earned a victory of their own at the Briar's Creek Invitational in Johns Island, S.C. Texas Tech, ranked 63rd in the Golfweek/Sagarin rankings, finished the tournament at 24-over 888, four shots ahead of runner-up and 71st-ranked Penn State.
- 3. Clemson: The 15th-ranked Tigers finished a disappointing fifth at the Briar's Creek Invitational, 11 shots back of Texas Tech. It's just the third time in eight starts this season that Clemson has finished worse than third.
- 4. Pepperdine: Eighth-ranked Pepperdine leads No. 7 Washington by three shots heading into the final round of the Anuenue Spring Break Classic March 26 in Kapalua, Hawaii.
- 5. Jacksonville: The Dolphins won the Plantation Inn Collegiate March 23 in Crystal River, Fla., winning by seven shots over Lynn University.
- 1. Gabriela Lopez, Arkansas: The sophomore won medalist honors in a playoff at the LSU Golf Classic March 22 in Baton Rouge, La. It was the first victory of the season and second career win for Lopez, who finished at 3-under 213 along with Central Florida's Ashley Holder and LSU's Madelene Sagstrom.
- 2. Christina Vosters, Penn State: Vosters shot a final-round, 4-under 68 to capture medalist honors at the Briar's Creek Invitational. She finished at 1-under 215. South Florida's Ashley Burke, Maryland's Alexandria Papell and Coastal Carolina's Lena Schaeffner tied for second, two shots back.
- 3 and 4. Ashlan Ramsey and Sloan Shanahan, Clemson: Ramsey and Shanahan, ranked 24th and 26th, respectively, both finished outside the top 10 at the Briar's Creek Invitational. Ramsey tied for 12th while Shanahan was T-49.
- 5. Grace Na, Pepperdine: Na is six shots clear of the field entering the final round of the Anuenue Spring Break Classic. She shot 6-under 66 in the second round March 25 to move to 8 under overall.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
- 1. USC: DNP
- 2. UCLA: DNP
- 3. Duke: DNP
- 4. Stanford: DNP
- 5. Arkansas: DNP
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
- 1. Annie Park, USC: DNP
- 2. Yu Liu, Duke: DNP
- 3. Alison Lee, UCLA: DNP
- 4. Stephanie Meadow, Alabama: DNP
- 5. Kyung Kim, USC: DNP
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.