Garcia builds lead to seven at AJGA Puerto Rico Open
Sunday, January 20, 2013
RIO GRANDE, Puerto Rico – After setting a tournament record in the first round of the Puerto Rico Junior Open, Jorge Garcia of Miami shot a second-round 71 at Trump International Golf Club to pull seven shots ahead of the field on Sunday.
After holding the lead heading into the final round last year, Garcia feels like he is in a perfect position and feels much more comfortable this time around.
“I felt really comfortable throughout the round,” said Garcia. “I made two mistakes that weren’t too costly and ended up just being bogeys, so that was fine. But I really felt comfortable on all 18 holes, and the course is really just in perfect condition.”
If Garcia is able to hold onto the lead, he would earn a PGA Tour exemption into the Puerto Rico Open. His mind has not changed and he will try to remain calm throughout the round.
“I’m going to play my game like in the first two days; stick to my routine and my game plan,” Garcia said. “There’s no difference in my mentality for tomorrow, just stay in the moment and focus on my game. I’ll follow the same routine and just try not to feel anxious.”
There is a four-way tie for second at 3-under par 141 that includes Corey Shaun, Cameron Champ, Luis Gerardo and Theo Humphrey.
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.