Women's Midweek Report: Stanford, Duke win big
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Welcome to Golfweek’s Women’s Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest women’s college news:
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now...
1. Portland State: The Vikings came from two shots behind entering the final round of the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Intercollegiate to win by five. Portland’s State 3-over 867 is a new school record.
2. Stanford: The Cardinal won for the first time this season at the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational. Stanford shot 1-under 863 at Sahalee in Sammamish, Wash., and finished 27 shots ahead of Washington, the home team.
3. UCLA: The Bruins earned its second victory of the fall, and have made it look easy both times. UCLA finished eight shots ahead of Arizona State at the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational. The team shot 22-under 842 at the University of Texas Golf Course in Austin. UCLA now is two for two this fall.
4. Toledo: The Rockets left the field in the dust at their home event, the Rocket Classic at Catawba Island Club. Toledo shot 27-over 891 and was 35 shots ahead of runner-up Bowling Green State. It’s the third victory for Toledo so far this fall.
5. Rollins: The Division II team, ranked No. 2 in the Golfstate head-to-head rankings, traveled from its home in Winter Park, Fla., to Palm Desert, Calif., for the Wyoming Cowgirl Desert Intercollegiate and was rewarded with a third-place finish. The Tars’ 48-over 912 total was only three shots higher than CSU Fullerton’s winning score.
1. A. Ram Choi, Portland State: Choi ran away with the individual title at the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Intercollegiate as her team also won the title. Choi finished the event at 8-under 208 (68-73-67), and her final-round 67 included seven birdies. She won by six.
2. Mariah Stackhouse, Stanford: The sophomore won the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational by three shots. Stackhouse, at 7-under 209 (68-70-71), was just ahead of teammate Mariko Tumangan.
3. Rockets: Toledo players swept the top three spots on the Rocket Classic leaderboard as the team won its own tournament by 35 shots. Manisa Isavas won the individual title, her first, at 4-over 220 while Sathika Ruenreong (221) and Jennifer Elsholz (224) were second and third, respectively.
4. UCLA freshmen: Alison Lee and Bronte Law finshed one-two for the Bruins at the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational. Both opened with 3-under 69 and closed with 67 but the difference came in the second round, when Lee shot 68 to Law’s 72. Now that’s some inner-team competition.
5. Ashlan Ramsey, Clemson: The freshman from Milledgeville, Ga., earned her second victory with the Tigers in just four starts. Ramsey shot 9-under 207 (68-69-70) at the Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel. She has played nine collegiate rounds this fall, and all at par or better.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin College Rankings fared:
1. UCLA: Won, Betsy Rawls Invitational
2. USC: DNP
3. Stanford: Won, Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational
4. Duke: Won, Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel
5. Washington: Second, Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin College Rankings fared:
1. Erynne Lee, UCLA: DQ, Betsy Rawls Invitational
2. Alison Lee, UCLA: Won, Betsy Rawls Invitational
3. Kyung Kim, USC: DNP
4. Julie Yang, Oklahoma State: DNP
5. Ashlan Ramsey, Clemson: Won, Ruth’s Chris Tar Heel