Men's Midweek Report: Georgia's big week
Wednesday, September 25, 2013
Welcome to Golfweek’s Men's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest men's college news.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. Georgia: Georgia won the Dick’s Sporting Goods Collegiate Challenge Cup by five at The Golf Club of Tennessee on Sept. 21 when it shot a final round 10-under 274. Three players – seniors Joey Garber and Michael Cromie, and sophomore Lee McCoy – finished inside the top 10. All three players were under par for the tournament. The Bulldogs, No. 11 in Golfweek’s Preseason Rankings, also went 5-0 to help the Southeastern Conference win “Top Conference” honors during the Collegiate Challenge Cup on Sept. 22.
2. California: After a fourth-place finish to start the season, Cal is back to its winning ways. The Golden Bears won the St. Mary’s (Calif.) Invitational by 30 shots on Sept. 24. Cal, No. 1 in the Golfweek Preseason Rankings, had three players finish in the top 10. Senior Michael Weaver finished second at 6-under 210. Senior Brandon Hagy was another shot back, and junior and 2012-13 Player of the Year Michael Kim finished T-8 at 2-over 218.
3. Houston: Houston picked up its first win of the season at the Fighting Irish Gridiron Classic on Sept. 24. The Cougars, No. 17 in Golfweek’s Preseason Rankings, fired rounds of 282-283-282 for a 5-under 847 and a 15-shot victory. Houston junior Kyle Pilgrim won his first collegiate title to allow Houston to sweep the titles at Warren GC. He shot rounds of 71-71-66 to come from behind and win. His 5-under 66 was his career-best round.
4. Northwestern: With strong play from senior Jack Perry and freshman Matthew Fitzpatrick, the U.S. Amateur champ, the Wildcats won the Windon Memorial title on Sept 23. Perry finished as the runner-up, while Fitzpatrick finished T-3. Northwestern came from behind to win the title over Kent State, No. 22 in the preseason rankings, by three shots.
5. Virginia Tech: After a runner-up finish at the Golfweek Conference Challenge less than a week a go, Virginia Tech won the VCU Shootout by 22 shots. All five Hookies finished inside the top-25, while Scott Vincent and Bryce Chalkley finished 1-2 on the individual leaderboard.
1. Ben Crancer, Texas A&M: The sophomore from Kirkwood, Mo., finished the Dick's Collegiate Challenge Cup seven shots ahead of the field at 16-under 197. Crancer fired rounds of 68-63-66 for his first collegiate victory. His second-round 8-under 63 was a Golf Club of Tennessee competitive course-record. With his 16 under, he set a Texas A&M school record for lowest 54-hole total.
2. Grant Forest, San Diego: Junior Grant Forest shot a final-round 3-under 69 at Bayonet GC on Sept. 24 to win the St. Mary’s (Calif.) Invitational for his second collegiate victory. Forest of North Berwick, Scotland, fired rounds of 71-69-69 to win by a single shot over Cal’s Michael Weaver. Over the summer, Forest qualified in Dunbar, Scotland, for The Open Championship at Muirfield.
3. Chase Koepka, South Florida: Chase Koepka led from start to finish at the Rees Jones Invitational to claim his first collegiate victory. Koepka, a sophomore, shot rounds of 68-70-74 for a 4-under 212 total. Koepka was the only player to finish under par at Haig Point in Daufuskie Island, S.C., to win by four shots.
4. Chris O’Neil, Michigan: Sophomore Chris O’Neil held off two Northwestern Wildcats at the Windon Memorial to win his first collegiate tournament. O’Neil, from Glen Allen, Va., shots rounds of 71-68-69 to win by three shots.
5. Scott Vincent, Virginia Tech: Scott Vincent tied for first last week at the Golfweek Conference Challenge after finishing 7 under in his last six holes. This week, he won the VCU Shootout by four shots over teammate Bryce Chalkley. Vincent, a junior from Zimbabwe, fired round of 69-68-69 to finish at 10-under 206.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Preseason Rankings fared:
1. California: Won, St. Mary’s (Calif.) Invitational
2. Alabama: DNP
3. Oklahoma State: DNP
4. Georgia Tech: DNP
5. UCLA: DNP
• • •
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Preseason Rankings fared:
1. Michael Kim, California: T-8, St. Mary’s (Calif.) Invitational
2. Patrick Rodgers, Stanford: DNP
3. Bobby Wyatt, Alabama: DNP
4. Cory Whitsett, Alabama: DNP
5. Julien Brun, TCU: DNP
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.