Men's Midweek Report: Oklahoma St. claims 3rd win
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Welcome to Golfweek’s Men's Midweek Report. We wanted to use this hump day to update you on all the latest men's college news.
• • •
THE BIG 5
Stories you need to know now . . .
1. Oklahoma State: The Cowboys went wire-to-wire at The Amer Ari in Hawaii on Feb. 8. Not only did they win, the team won by 14 shots and finished with a three-round total of 45 under. It’s the team’s third straight victory dating back to the fall season.
2. Oklahoma: No. 12 in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings, the Sooners picked up their second team win of the season at the UTSA Oak Hills Invitational on Feb. 11. It finished with a 24-over 876 in San Antonio for a five-shot win.
3. San Diego: The team shot 3-under 285 in the final round of The Farms Collegiate – a home event – to win by 14 shots on Feb. 11 in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif. The Toreros were the only team under par at the tournament.
4. Ball State: The Cardinals won the MAC Match Play title at Jovita Golf and Country Club in Dade, Fla., on Feb. 11. The team went 3-0 and defeated top-seeded Eastern Michigan in the final match, 4-2, for the win.
5. Liberty: Liberty shared the title at the Sea Best Invitational on Feb. 4 with North Florida. The Flames, No. 26 in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings, captured its first win since Oct. 2012 and beat out the sixth-ranked team in the country, Texas A&M and No. 23 South Carolina.
1. Jordan Niebrugge, Oklahoma State: Niebrugge picked up his first collegiate victory in Hawaii at The Amer Ari by a single shot. He shot rounds of 67-68-65 for a 16-under total. He is ranked No. 88.
2. Kyle Jones, Baylor: The junior from Snowflake, Ariz., won the UTSA Oak Hills Invitational for the second consecutive year. Jones shot 69-71-73 to hang on for the one-shot victory.
3. Grant Forrest, San Diego: Forrest tied for first at The Farms Collegiate with Jimmy Beck of Kennesaw State at 6 under. Forrest, who played in the 2013 Open Championship, shot 67-72-71.
4. Jimmy Beck, Kennesaw State: Beck, a junior from Columbus, Ga., fired a final round 2-under 70 to come back and tie for medalist honors at The Farms Collegiate with Forest. This is Beck’s third collegiate victory.
5. Tyler Merkel, Ball State: Merkel, a senior, won all three of his matches during MAC Match Play, including the final match over Eastern Michigan’s Brett White.
• • •
BEST OF THE BEST
How the top 5 teams in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Alabama: DNP
2. Oklahoma State: Won, The Amer Ari Invitational
3. California: DNP
4. Georgia Tech: T-7, The Amer Ari Invitational
5. Illinois: DNP
• • •
How the top 5 individuals in the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings fared:
1. Trey Mullinax, Alabama: DNP
2. Joey Garber, Georgia: DNP
3. Brandon Hagy, California: DNP
4. Ben Crancer, Texas A&M: T-3, Sea Best Invitational
5. Chase Koepka, USF: DNP
Golfweek.com readers: We value your input and welcome your comments, but please be respectful in this forum.