Move over, Oscars; we're taking Ultimate Golf Selfie
Monday, March 3, 2014
Oscars night attracted the attention of plenty of prominent golfers, judging by their social-media feeds. But the one thing that "blew up Twitter" as many put it was the selfie photo that host Ellen DeGeneres had actor Bradley Cooper take – featuring many of Hollywood's greats, including Meryl Streep, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Kevin Spacey and more.
Teeing Off being a golf blog, we won't go into all 11 names of the clearly visible faces. But we'll ask this: Assuming you get to be the host, which 10 golf figures would you want surrounding you in your Ultimate Golfers' Selfie?
Tweet us with #Golfweek, comment on our Facebook page or use the comments section below and we'll share highlights from your choices. We'll go first. It's not a "Mount Rushmore" to identify the game's greatest, so just have some fun. Oh, and if you missed it, here's the Oscars selfie that garnered more than 2.6 million retweets.
Ellen DeGeneres, @TheEllenShow: "If only Bradley's arm was longer. Best photo ever. #oscars pic.twitter.com/C9U5NOtGap"
• • •
Nick Masuda, Director of Digital Content and Innovation, @GolfweekSuda
- Tiger Woods, because he transformed the game.
- Arnold Palmer, because of his work off the course helping women and children, not to mention some sweet golf skills.
- Andy Zhang, because he is one of the most charismatic kids I have ever met, and handled the pressures of a U.S. Open like a veteran at Olympic Club.
- Graeme McDowell, because I am sure he'd bring a pint or two.
- Bobby Jones, well, because he's Bobby Jones.
- Bagger Vance, because I somehow want to work in the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air into my selfie.
- Fred Couples, because the photographer won't even need to say "cheese!" – Couples makes everyone smile.
- Jason Dufner, because I want him to "Dufner" in the foreground of the photo.
- Ian Poulter, because I want him to do his "Ryder Cup face."
- And, finally, Paula Creamer, because I want to learn how to drop 75-foot eagle bombs to win tournaments, too.
• • •
Brentley Romine, Golfweek.com, @GolfweekBromine
- Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer and Tiger Woods, three players who need no explanation.
- Jason Dufner, because no Twitter photo is complete without the Duff Daddy.
- Keegan Bradley, if you could even see him behind Duff's new hair-do.
- Rory McIlroy, only if he's awake in this one.
- Alabama's Trey Mullinax and UCLA's Alison Lee, the No. 1 men's and women's college players.
- Junior player Sam Horsfield, so Ian Poulter will retweet it.
- Kiradech Aphibarnrat, because everyone needs to know how awesome this guy is.
• • •
Bill Zimmerman, Golfweek.com, @GolfweekZ
- Jack Nicklaus, who I grew up idolizing and whose "Golf My Way" made my game better.
- Tiger Woods, who stepped up and electrified the after-Nicklaus era.
- Lanny Wadkins, who seemingly never met a pin he wouldn't take aim at.
- Paula Creamer, because 75-footers for eagle to win get you onto a list like this.
- Arnold Palmer, who made golf a game of the people.
- Nancy Lopez, who exuded focus and confidence while collecting armfuls of trophies.
- Jordan Spieth, because right now he's Most Likely To Really, Really Succeed.
- Well then, Lydia Ko too.
- John Daly, for the colorful outfits and the social-media commentary afterward.
- Rickie Fowler, so fans would retweet it.
- PS, Jason Dufner would hopefully be partially visible in the bottom edge of the frame, sitting slumped on the floor.
• • •
Alvin C. Miles @miles_alvinc: "@GolfweekMag The Ryder Cup Team & this year's Masters contestants"
Peter Gonzalez, EA, @pgea512: "@GolfweekMag Tiger Jack Trevino Player Palmer Rory"
Brad SmithPGA, @BradSmithPGA: ".@GolfweekMag #golfweek The cast from Caddyshack and @bencranegolf #funtimes #livingthedream"
Steve Gordon, via Facebook: "My first list was PGA with Jones, Hogan, Nelson, Venturi, Sam Snead, Palmer, Nicklaus, Tom Watson, Mickelson and Trevino. Then I realized I did not pick any women golfers so the revised list is Pat Bradley, Inkster, Carner, Rankin and Lexi Thompson along with Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Tom Watson and Mickelson."