McIlroy establishes foundation to help children
Rory McIlroy is using his platform as the world’s No. 1 player for a good cause, establishing the Rory Foundation to help children around the world.
“When I was younger my parents sacrificed everything to allow me to play the game I love,” McIlroy said. “Having that support from my family gave me the opportunity to chase my dreams. But I know that every child is not so fortunate. My aim is that The Rory Foundation will support children’s charities big and small, around the world, that try to give kids that helping hand.”
The Rory Foundation’s first fundraiser is called “The 6 Bags Project.” McIlroy will carry a bag bearing the logo of a different children’s charity at each of his first six starts of 2013; the bag will then be auctioned at roryfoundation.com, with the money going toward the charity on the bag.
Here are the six tournaments, along with the charity that will benefit:
• HSBC Abu Dhabi: Northern Ireland Cancer Fund for Children
• WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship: Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson
• Honda Classic: Child Protection Team of the Palm Beaches
• WGC-Cadillac Championship: First Tee Miami-Dade Amateur Golf Association
• Shell Houston Open: Chinquapin School
• The Masters: TBA