Tiger Woods closes in 3-under 69 at the Arnold Palmer Invitational to finish the week at 10 under. He won’t capture his ninth title here, but it was a strong T-5 showing.
We tracked Woods’ final round shot by shot. Catch up with that below…
Hole No. 18: Par 4, 466 yards
- OFF THE TEE (5:37 p.m. ET): Tiger has just totally lost it here at the end. This 3-wood goes at least 15 yards right of the fairway. He might be under a tree. Woods might end this tournament with three straight bogeys.
- APPROACH SHOT (5:40 p.m. ET): Tiger had about 200 yards out from the rough, so he just chopped this out in front of the green. He’ll have about 40 yards on a pitch for birdie.
- AROUND THE GREEN (5:42 p.m. ET): Tiger gets that one to nestle 10 feet under the hole. That left for par.
- ON THE GREEN (5:50 p.m. ET): Good finish, TW. He gets that par putt to drop to salvage a 3-under 69. A tough finish, but it’s still a strong week for Tiger.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 3-under 69 (-10 overall, T-5)
Hole No. 17: Par 3, 220 yards
- OFF THE TEE (5:27 p.m. ET): That one misses in the front left bunker. After McIlroy birdies to reach 15 under, Tiger’s chances are essentially done. Now it’s about avoiding a poor finish here for TW.
- AROUND THE GREEN (5:30 p.m. ET): Tiger blasts out of the sand, and this comes up about 12 feet short. He’ll have to drain that to avoid bogey-bogey here.
- ON THE GREEN (5:32 p.m. ET): Yikes. The wheels are falling off. That putt slides over the right edge. Tiger taps in, but that’s back-to-back bogeys.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 3 under thru 17 (-10 overall, T-5)
Hole No. 16: Par 5, 496 yards
- OFF THE TEE (5:08 p.m. ET): OUT OF BOUNDS. It looks like Tiger’s chances end with a dud. He took out driver and hit it way left. That OB her may very well end his chances.
- THIRD SHOT OFF TEE (5:11 p.m. ET): Well, it’s always easier on the second try. Tiger roasts driver down the middle, and if he can somehow get this close and make the putt, he can make par. A bogey or worse probably about ends his chances here.
- FOURTH SHOT (5:16 p.m. ET): He had just pitching wedge in from 138 yards for his fourth, but it hangs right. This one is pin-high but 20 feet right. That’s what Tiger has left for par. Meanwhile, Rory McIlroy birdies No. 13 to move to 14 under. Woods is now two back.
- ON THE GREEN (5:19 p.m. ET): Nope. Bogey. Tiger gave it a good run, but that ball finishes just high and right of the hole. He taps in, but that is a brutal bogey. He’s now three back. Even a birdie-birdie finish probably won’t give him much of a chance.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 4 under thru 16 (-11 overall, fifth)
Hole No. 15: Par 4, 482 yards
- OFF THE TEE (4:51 p.m. ET): Iron off the tee on this long par 4. Interesting play, but he does like it. That’s a low bullet that runs down the left side, hits a downslope and bounds forward. The ball actually rolls into the rough, but that looks to be a light second cut. So his ball is sitting just fine, almost in intermediate rough. Solid tee shot.
- APPROACH SHOT (4:56 p.m. ET): That was a 300+ drive with an iron. From 193 yards on his second, Tiger goes at the flag with a 7-iron and the ball ends up about 20-25 feet short of the cup. A good shot there. Not a great birdie chance, but a solid one. At the very least it should be a par.
- ON THE GREEN (5:02 p.m. ET): Tiger made a run at it, but the ball turns left at the end and runs over the left edge. The putt finishes a few feet by. He does make par, though. We were an inch from a raucous birdie and Tiger co-leading though.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 5 under thru 15 (-12 overall, T-3)
Hole No. 14: Par 3, 217 yards
- OFF THE TEE (4:44 p.m. ET): That one lands just short and right of the green and races down into a low area right of the green. A yard more left, and he maybe has 25 feet for birdie. He’ll have to get this up and down from 20 yards to keep the charge on.
- AROUND THE GREEN (4:47 p.m. ET): Tiger pitches that one and he shows deft touch in rolling this some 3 feet under the hole. This should be a crucial par save.
- ON THE GREEN (4:49 p.m. ET): Tiger has no problem with that one. Brushes it in for a monumental par to stay one back.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 5 under thru 14 (-12 overall, T-3)
Hole No. 13: Par 4, 378 yards
- OFF THE TEE (4:32 p.m. ET): Iron off the tee, and this is a good one down the right side of the fairway. If Tiger can take advantage and make birdie here, this play is going to start getting REALLY loud.
- APPROACH SHOT (4:36 p.m. ET): Oh wow. Tiger’s second here lands maybe a couple feet from the flag. The ball bounds to about 15 feet away on the fringe. But that’ll give him a good look at birdie.
- ON THE GREEN (4:40 p.m. ET): YES!! Back-to-back birdies, three in four holes and Tiger is now ONE back. Woo!!!! This is getting exciting, people. What a Sunday charge.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 5 under thru 13 (-12 overall, T-3)
Hole No. 12: Par 5, 555 yards
- OFF THE TEE (4:16 p.m. ET): That driver is HAMMERED down the left side of the fairway. That’s just what he was asking for here. He can go for this green in two at a time where he needs to keep going lower.
- APPROACH SHOT (4:20 p.m. ET): A 2-iron from 256 yards … that one was always left. It was a low draw that missed the green left and bounds into a bunker. It’s a long bunker shot, but he’ll have plenty of green to work with.
- AROUND THE GREEN (4:25 p.m. ET): Tiger blasts out from the bunker, and that is textbook. The ball rolls out and comes to rest about 4 feet under the hole. Short birdie effort is upcoming.
- ON THE GREEN (4:29 p.m. ET): BURIES it. That’s his fifth one today and he’s now just TWO back.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 4 under thru 12 (-11 overall, T-4)
Hole No. 11: Par 4, 441 yards
- OFF THE TEE (3:57 p.m. ET): Tiger goes with a low bullet of an iron off the tee here, with no problem. It’s right down the middle. He’ll probably have a lengthy approach in, but it’ll be from the fairway.
- APPROACH SHOT (4:08 p.m. ET): That was maybe a yard from total disaster. Tiger stays aggressive from 188 yards with an 8-iron, and that one BARELY clears the water. It hits in the bank fronting the green and stays there. He’ll be chipping from the rough in front of the green. But if that ball comes up a yard shorter, he would’ve been in the water.
- AROUND THE GREEN (4:10 p.m. ET): Tiger has an awkward stance here, as he’s sidehill, but he gently chips this about 4 feet under the hole. Honestly, this is getting to must-make territory, as it’s a par putt.
- ON THE GREEN (4:12 p.m. ET): Oh man, Tiger has to be glad the cup is 4 1/4 inches. That ball hits the left edge, horeshoes around and stays in. Tiger stood there for a few seconds after it dropped frozen in disbelief. But he has the par, and now he’s just three back after a Stenson bogey.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 3 under thru 11 (-10 overall, fifth)
Hole No. 10: Par 4, 404 yards
- OFF THE TEE (3:45 p.m. ET): Tiger takes iron off this tee and it’s a beauty. Striped down the fairway. Good start to a back nine where he has to be looking for a 30 or 31 to have a real chance at the title.
- APPROACH SHOT (3:48 p.m. ET): It’s time to get aggressive, and Tiger does! He launches an 8-iron just left of the back flag from 180 yards and puts it 8 feet from the cup. Tricky putt upcoming, but nonetheless a great birdie chance to start the back nine.
- ON THE GREEN (3:53 p.m. ET): Tiger is still perfect inside 9 feet. He rolled that in like it was nothing. An important tone-setting birdie to start the back nine. He creeps back within four.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 3 under thru 10 (-10 overall, fifth)
Hole No. 9: Par 4, 474 yards
- OFF THE TEE (3:25 p.m. ET): That’s an AWFUL swing. Tiger does driver, and he drops it immediately on the follow through. That ball goes miles right and ends up between hospitality areas. That spot is still in bounds we think, so it should be an interesting free drop upcoming. Regardless, out of position here.
- APPROACH SHOT (3:32 p.m. ET): Tiger takes his free drop in the rough. From hardpan from 181 yards away, he goes right at this back-right pin, lands it 20 feet beyond and the ball bounds a couple yards over the green. It should be just fine back there. If the lie is good, that’s a pretty simple up and down there.
- AROUND THE GREEN (3:36 p.m. ET): Not sure what happened there. Pretty simple bump-and-run, but Tiger runs that about 15 feet by the cup. One of his worst short game shots this week. After a great break off the tee, he’s facing a lengthy par putt.
- ON THE GREEN (3:39 p.m. ET): Tiger had too much speed on that one as it misses high and right. He rolls in the 2-footer remaining, but that is a deflating bogey. He is five back again. Stats: 5/7 fairways, 7/9 GIR, 16 putts
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 2 under thru 9 (-9 overall, T-5)
Hole No. 8: Par 4, 456 yards
- OFF THE TEE (3:09 p.m. ET): Tiger goes iron off this tee and it’s right down the middle. Gave the club a late twirl, too. We’re guessing a strategic play after his 3-wood went right here yesterday and he was forced to lay up.
- APPROACH SHOT (3:17 p.m. ET): Yeah, that’s what we’re talking about. Tiger goes right at the flag over water from 175 yards, and the ball lands about 8 feet from the pin, hops and stops about 6 feet right of the hole. A great birdie look upcoming. He needs birdies, too. Stenson has moved to 14 under with a birdie, which keeps Woods five back right now.
- ON THE GREEN (3:23 p.m. ET): Drain-o. Tiger is now 55-for-55 on putts inside 9 feet this week as he gets this one to fall no problem. That’s a huge birdie on a tough hole. He’s now tied with Rory McIlroy, and only three players are ahead of TW on the leaderboard.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 3 under thru 8 (-10 overall, T-4)
Hole No. 7: Par 3, 199 yards
- OFF THE TEE (2:58 p.m. ET): A 6-iron for TW, and it’s online but about 30 feet short. With a back pin, though, that means he’s harmlessly on the green. A 30-foot birdie look left.
- ON THE GREEN (3:05 p.m. ET): That one was always left. It’s solid speed, though, just a little past and left. Maybe 3 feet left for par and he cleans up. His speed has been OK today, but not fantastic. He’s left himself a lot of ticklers in the 3-5 foot range. Maybe he’ll keep rolling them in no problem, just something to note.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 2 under thru 7 (-9 overall, T-5)
Hole No. 6: Par 5, 555 yards
- OFF THE TEE (2:41 p.m. ET): If Tiger was fazed by that birdie putt unbelievably staying out, he’s not showing it. At this horeshoe par 5 over water, Tiger takes an aggressive line and pumps a driver about 320 down the fairway. He may just have a mid-iron into this par 5.
- APPROACH SHOT (2:48 p.m. ET): It’s go time again. And OH YEAH, BABY. Tiger launches a 6-iron from just under 225 yards that lands 20 feet short of the hole and rolls pin high and maybe 12 feet from the cup. He’ll have an excellent eagle look upcoming.
- ON THE GREEN (2:50 p.m. ET): A 13-footer for eagle, boy would this produce a roar… So. Close. Tiger got aggressive with that one and liked it, even started giving it the step because he thought it was in. But the ball carries too much speed, catches the high right lip and runs 3 feet by. He does clean up for birdie. But that was an eagle moment barely missed.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 2 under thru 6 (-9 overall, T-5)
Hole No. 5: Par 4, 379 yards
- OFF THE TEE (2:27 p.m. ET): Oh wow, Tiger goes DRIVER on this short par 4 after iron every other day. He took a full rip at this one, with a vicious recoil, and he didn’t quite reach the green, but it looks like he is in the fairway with maybe 40 yards left for his second shot.
- APPROACH SHOT (2:31 p.m. ET): His drive actually ended up in the right rough, but Woods did indeed have about 40 yards to the green. He tried to play a low runner to a tucked flag and it looked like it would end up about 20 feet from the hole, but his ball hit a sprinkler head before the green. The momentum was killed, as the ball hopped up and forward but stopped almost immediately. Tiger is just off the green for his third. About 35 feet from the hole.
- AROUND THE GREEN (2:35 p.m. ET): Tiger chooses putter from there … AND OH THAT WAS MEAN. That putt went right at the flag with some speed, hit the center of the flagstick and somehow popped back an inch in front of the cup. That should’ve gone in for a birdie. Wow, would that’ve produced a roar.
- ON THE GREEN (2:37 p.m. ET): Tiger indeed taps in for par.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under thru 5 (-8 overall, T-5)
Hole No. 4: Par 5, 561 yards
- OFF THE TEE (2:12 p.m. ET): This is a huge early sign, and it’s a good one. Tiger pumps a driver 300+ down the fairway here. He’ll be able to go for this green in two.
- APPROACH SHOT (2:16 p.m. ET): We’ve got a 2-iron from 243 yards, and that is PRETTY. He feathers in a cut that barely reaches the green but does and rolls some 30 feet forward. He’s about 30 feet left and past the pin. That’ll be his look for eagle.
- ON THE GREEN (2:25 p.m. ET): That 30-foot eagle putt never had enough speed. But it proves a successful lag. The ball trickles to about 2 feet and Tiger cleans that up. He now has his opening birdie of the day!
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under thru 4 (-8 overall, T-6)
Hole No. 3: Par 4, 434 yards
- OFF THE TEE (2 p.m. ET): It’s another iron stripe off the tee, and wow, that almost got 300 yards down the fairway. Position A.
- APPROACH SHOT (2:03 p.m. ET): He just hasn’t been sharp on the approaches so far. This is a pretty poor one from 157 yards that does well to give him a look some 30-40 feet away.
- ON THE GREEN (2:09 p.m. ET): That was a fast 30-footer that was never high enough. He had to be cautious an at the very least Woods left himself about 3 feet for par. For him, that’s an easy clean up. Another par, but there are two par 5s coming in the next three holes.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: Even thru 3 (-7 overall, T-11)
Hole No. 2: Par 3, 233 yards
- OFF THE TEE (1:46 p.m. ET): Tiger plays a cut 4-iron into this one and it’s a conservative play again. But that’s probably for the best, as the pin is tucked back-left. Tiger does find the green and should have roughly 45 feet for birdie right of the hole.
- ON THE GREEN (1:53 p.m. ET): That first putt came from 55 feet and ends up around 5 feet short. A tester here for par, and … OH, he gave that the forceful early step. Drained that no problem. Important because an early bogey would’ve been killer.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: Even thru 2 (-7 overall, T-11)
Hole No. 1: Par 4, 461 yards
- OFF THE TEE (1:30 p.m. ET): Iron off the opening tee, and that one gets a twirl. It’s a pristine one down the right side of the fairway, and we’re off with a great opening tee ball.
- APPROACH SHOT (1:36 p.m. ET): This is a 6-iron from 199 yards and Tiger shapes a draw in here, but it’s well left. The ball lands about 20 feet left of the pin, and takes a slope left and finishes about 50 feet from the cup. So just a meh approach there.
- ON THE GREEN (1:41 p.m. ET): That putt came over a ridge and really was just a lag. About all you can ask for here, as Tiger misses a bit left and just past the hole. Good speed, though, and he left himself less than 3 feet. He cleaned up for an opening par.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: Even thru 1 (-7 overall, T-10)
As always, the Sunday Red is here for Tiger.
Information on Tiger’s tee time below…
Arnold Palmer Invitational Tracker
UPDATE No. 9 (6:37 p.m. ET): Bryson can’t hole out for eagle at No. 18 and McIlroy is your champion! His first victory since 2016! What a way to do it.
UPDATE No. 8 (6:26 p.m. ET): We heard the roar from this one from the media center (which is a good 1/4 mile from 18 green). What a finish, Rory. This birdie to get in at 18 under gives him a two-shot lead and probably finishes off the win.
UPDATE No. 7 (6:14 p.m. ET): Holy Bryson! DeChambeau sneaks in a 16-foot eagle putt at No. 16 and he’s now 16 under and just one back of McIlroy, who’s on 18. We’ve still got a fight here!
UPDATE No. 6 (6 p.m. ET): Four straight for Rory, as he finds the green and makes a simple two-putt birdie. He now leads by three at 17 under.
UPDATE No. 5 (5:50 p.m. ET): Rory is just on fire. He chips in for birdie at No. 15 to move to 16 under. That’s three in a row and a two-shot lead. He then pumps his drive at the par-5 16th some 373 yards down the fairway.
UPDATE No. 4 (5:26 p.m. ET): Rory McIlroy drains back-to-back lengthy birdie putts at Nos. 13 and 14 and he leads by two at 15 under.
UPDATE No. 3 (4:15 p.m. ET): Rory birdies and Stenson bogeys. They are now tied for the lead at 13 under. And Tiger is just three back.
UPDATE No. 2 (3:18 p.m. ET): Henrik Stenson drains a 12-footer for birdie at No. 4 to move to 14 under. He stays two shots ahead, as DeChambeau also birdies No. 4. Justin Rose is solo third at 11 under as he plays the par-5 sixth.
UPDATE No. 1 (2:35 p.m. ET): Henrik Stenson and Bryson DeChambeau both birdie the opening hole. That moves Stenson to -13 and DeChambeau to -12. So the lead is still one. Tiger Woods is five back again.